Nottingham Uni to put carbon emissions on food menus to help reach sustainability target

It aims to help staff and students understand the carbon impact of their food choices

University of Nottingham will introduce carbon emission labelling on it’s food menus in an attemot to boost the university’s susatianabilty and aid the city in reaching its carbon neutral target.

With the roll out of this campaign, the unviersity hopes the labels will help staff and students to understand the carbon impact of their food choices.

The university has partnered with Klimato to carbon label its food, with the labels being introduced in all catered accomodation on campus and in Portland Building’s Saijokai and Mama’s.

The food industry accounts for 28 per cent of global emissions, and around 8 per cent of University of Nottingham’s total carbon footprint.

Nottingham is the first university is the midlands to roll out carbon labels, following suit of University of Bristol, University of Manchester, University of Reading, Falmouth University, University of Exeter, Churchill College (University of Cambridge) and Glasgow Caledonian University.

Sarah Cawthorne, Environment Officer from the Sustainability team at the University of Nottingham, said: “We wanted to give staff and students the opportunity to see the carbon impact of their food and also make an informed choice.

“Young people nowadays are becoming more aware of the consequences of their choices. As a student living in catered accommodation, there’s a limit to what you can do yourself; although food is such an individual choice, this shows that you can make a difference with it.

• Hit or miss? The new Japanese restaurant on campus reviewed

• University of Nottingham investigating two accounts of hate crime towards staff

• Two men arrested after Nottingham student house burgled