University of Nottingham lost to Bangor Uni on this week’s episode of University Challenge

The Notts team lost by only 10 points

In this week’s episode, The University of Nottingham lost to Bangor University on University Challenge.

Nottingham narrowly lost by only 10 points, with 125 points compared to Bangor’s 135.

Nottingham’s team was made up of Karen Moran, studying medicine; Will Noble, studying for a PhD in contemporary British history; team captain Robert Allen, studying for a PhD in mathematical neuroscience; and James Hadland studying French and Spanish.

Jeremy Paxton hosted the gameshow and introduced the team saying: ” The University of Nottingham can trace it’s history to an anonymous donation of £10,000 offered for the foundation of a civic college in the city centre.

“Nearly 50 years later, Sir Jesse Boot of pharmacy fame gifted the growing college 35 cues of land on the city’s outskirts, where its main campus remains today.

“Notable graduates include the actor Ruth Wilson, the table tennis player Deng Yaping and the football commentator Clive Tyldesley.”

The university wished the contestants luck on Twitter before the episode aired on Tuesday night.

This series of University Challenge is the last one that will be presented by host Jeremy Paxman, who announced this summer that he will be retiring after hosting the show for 28 years.

He said: “I’ve had a blast hosting this wonderful series for nearly 29 years. I’ve been lucky enough to work with an amazing team and to meet some of the swottier brains in the country. It gives me hope for the future.”

Better luck next time Notts xoxo

Feature image via BBC iPlayer 

Related articles recommended by the author:

• Police appeal for witnesses after Notts students attacked in nightclub

• Nottingham short of 5,500 student beds but doing all it can to avoid accommodation crisis

• Two arrests made in connection to burglary at a student house in Notts