‘I got locked in a pub’: We asked Notts students their online dating horror stories

How are some of these real?

Whilst the lucky ones will find their true love at university in Nottingham, others will get the short end of the stick. “Doing it for the plot” can lead to some tragic endeavours when using dating apps such as Tinder and Hinge. We’ve collected some of your most painful but often hilarious encounters from catfishing, canine attacks, and even threatening to get the parents involved.

The inattentive dog owner

“I matched with a guy on Hinge, and not long after he invited me over to his. The first red flag once I’d got there was that he couldn’t even remember my name. I wish so badly that I had taken that first cue to leave. Anyway, he introduced me to his dog, which resided without the landlord’s knowledge nor did he consult his housemates, and it was probably the most hyper-active dog I’ve ever come across. Which makes sense considering he admitted to neglecting to walk the poor thing.

“He brings the dog into his room with us, Netlix and chill kind of vibe, and for far too long the dog almost bites off the strings on my trousers, and jumped and walked around on top of me to the point where I couldn’t move the dog myself as it would just repeat the same action. The boy just laid back and laughed. Not to mention he was extremely selfish in bed. I went home with scratches on my body.”

I reckon the dog was trying to warn you.

Image may contain: Teeth, Mouth, Lip, Pet, Canine, Dog, Animal, Mammal

Run while you can babes x

Offensive fetishes

“I met with a guy from Hinge who revealed that he had some really strange and intense fetishes. He would make so many slimey comments.”

We could spend hours trying to unpack this

The Pandora bracelet heist

“I went over to a Tinder boy’s house, who was a Nottingham local and stayed with his parents. First of all, his fingernails were so sharp that he scratched me…down there and I had to leave after just under an hour, because penetration was now too painful. I then realised I left my pandora bracelet behind, and when I messaged him about it he refused to let me come and retrieve it. So I told him that I would knock on his door regardless and ask his mum for it. He then left the bracelet behind the outside bins for me to get.”

How chivalrous.

A failed escape

“I got locked in a pub trying to ditch the date”

Was the Universe trying to keep you together?

Image may contain: Building, Beer, Scoreboard, Liquor, Bartender, Bottle, Worker, Drink, Alcohol, Beverage, Bar Counter, Pub

International love gone wrong

“Got ghosted after he saw me in a Pitbull costume”

Clearly not a man of taste…

A catfish with a twist…

“I matched with a lad on Tinder, who didn’t have Instagram which I didn’t question because I know a fair few people our age who don’t use it. We would call sometimes so I knew he wasn’t some fifty-year-old but I never saw his face. I did eventually grow suspicious though especially when he got angry at me for asking for proof of well, his face.

“After this I did some Instagram stalking and found the actual guy, whose pictures were being used, and sent the boy a message. It turns out the real dude went to school with the guy who was pretending to be him. The catfish was extremely meticulous too, when the original posted that he was going to the beach the catfish would tell me about his day at the beach and send the same photos.

“I hear the catfish is still going using various people’s pictures, so girls of Nottingham be warned. As for me, I ended up bonding with the real guy and we spent a weekend together.”

A happy ending at least.

•  10 lessons you’ll learn as a Notts student in your first semester

• What your favourite place to buy food on campus says about you

• Eight ways to channel your inner child as a Notts student