Bored of Wollaton? Here are the best places for a first date in Notts

No more muddy walks please

If you’re lucky enough to land yourself a date with a Notts boy, then this is your sign to say no to his proposed stroll around Wollaton. Don’t get me wrong, Wollaton is a nice place for the first four or five times you visit, but it can get pretty repetitive. The last thing you want is to be reminded of all those lockdown walks.

If you have ‘trying something new’ on your list of New Year’s resolutions, then this comprehensive list of Notts first date locations is for you. You never know, if it goes well, you might tick more than one resolution off that list.

Calluna

A fan of house music? Calluna might just be the place for you.

Calluna is the perfect place for a classy but not breaking-the-bank cocktail. Located just up the road from Old Market Square, Calluna opens until 1:30am every night and has a four-page cocktail menu.

Canal House

For those of you who don’t want to venture all the way into the city centre, Canal House is great. As its name helpfully suggests, it looks over the canal.

Remember to bring your coat because you’ll probably be sat outside. At least you won’t have to worry about what top to wear, since it’s unlikely you’ll be shedding your North Face for the next few hours.

Coco Tang

The infamous Coco tang. You’ll see its neon logo from a mile away, and on your Instagram feed most likely from the successful (or maybe unsuccessful) dates your friends have been on.

Since it’s been refurbished recently, even if you’ve paid Coco Tang a visit before, it’s worth checking out Nottingham’s equivalent to The Ivy Asia. Hopefully your date doesn’t mind taking a few pictures for your gram.

Penny Lane

With plenty of arcade games, at Penny Lane there’s no chance of getting bored should the topic of conversation turn to the photos that occupy your date’s camera roll. And, by choosing this as a first date location, you’ll establish how good they are at playing games.

It’s also right next to the Lace Market tram stop, so you won’t have to awkwardly walk up to them from the other end of the street.

Boating on Highfields Lake

Maybe this one’s planning too far into the future since you’d have to wait for summer for this date to go ahead. But, come summer, you could be rowing together under bright blue skies with a view of the Trent Building. What more could you want?

If you want to rewrite The Notebook on your first date, then boating on campus should be a go-to.

Mowgli

If you fancy going out for dinner rather than getting drinks, then Mowgli will provide you with the perfect first date backdrop.

But you may have to book a few weeks in advance. Maybe you should reserve a table for two as soon as you match on Tinder.

The Magic Garden

Since lockdown, The Magic Garden has gone from a good place for a first date to an amazing one. Even being outside in winter is justifiable here, thanks to their abundance of heaters and covered tables.

They even have a secret outdoor cinema that screens popular films, so maybe wait until your favourite one is showing to impress your date with your plot insights and ability to memorise the script.

Pepper Rocks

If you don’t mind risking sitting at anything other than eye level with your date, then Pepper Rocks is for you. With student discount, the cocktails average to about £5 each.

Like many places post Covid, you can order the drinks on your phone so there will be no awkward waiting alone whilst your date takes their turn to pay for the round at the bar.

Situated in Lace Market, Pepper Rocks also serves Bunk hotdogs if you fancy sobering up once your nerves have calmed.

Bohns Burgers

Bohns Burgers is a lesser-known restaurant in Lace Market. If you fancy venturing out from Annie’s Burger Shack, Bohns is a good option. It has a veggie and vegan menu too.

Assuming you’re a student, they also have a £10 deal which gets you a burger, fries and a pint. Your student loan won’t hate you too much after splitting the bill.

Glory Holes

Glory Holes is Nottingham’s answer to adult crazy golf. Instead of just getting balls in holes, you and your date will have to navigate around an explicit course which’ll give you plenty to talk about.

If your date is free between Monday and Thursday, games are only £10 each instead of £12. Every penny counts.

A parent-friendly snapshot of Glory Holes

Savoy Cinema

I’m not too sure how you all feel about a cinema trip as a first date. Some people think it’s the worst possible location since you’re sat there for over two hours in silence wondering if you both touching knees means anything. Regardless, it’s on this list for those of you who deem this subtle exchange as romantic rather than awkward.

Student tickets are less than £5, which is unbelievably cheap. Just make sure you don’t fall asleep mid film. It’s never a good sign on a first date.

Colwick Country Park

If you are insistent on going for a walk on your first date, then Colwick Country Park is an alternative option to the infamous Wollaton. Maybe you want to prove to them that on Sundays you really do like going for long walks, just like you typed in your bio.

It’s only a short cab or bus ride away and since dogs are welcome, it might be a cute idea to find one to borrow. If you don’t think threes a crowd, that is.

Related titles recommended by this author:

• A definitive ranking of the best nightclub smoking areas in Notts

UoN’s Fashion Soc held a strip teasing fashion show at Bierkeller to raise money for charity

Every type of Notts student you will find in the library during deadline season