Stuck indoors for Valentine’s? Here are some creative ways to spend the day in Notts

Lockdown doesn’t mean romance is dead!

Usually, Valentine’s Day is only dreaded by singles. But with lockdown still looming over us, this year it is anticipated to be dismal all round. Dining out in a fancy restaurant, throwing back shots in Bierkeller, and hitting up Pryzm for their annual Valentine’s event are off the to-do list.

At first glance, it would appear that Nottingham has fully closed for Valentine’s Day, but it doesn’t have to be all doom and gloom. If you and your significant other are willing to get creative, there’s plenty of ways your Valentine’s Day can be made the memorable event it should be.

Here are a few fun, romantic, and ultimatley unqiue ideas for how you can spend Valentines 2021 without even stepping out your front door.

Shake up some delicious cocktails

The greatest scam I’ve ever heard is the ridiculous cost of cocktails. Somehow I struggle to believe juice and vodka can total to be £8. Thats exactly why learning how to make them yourself is such a genius idea. Whether you choose to compete or pair up in concocting your creations, cocktail making is both a way of gaining a new skill and a way to get tipsy at the same time, or black-out drunk – depending on what kind of couple you are.

Swap the boring, old sofa for a pillow fort

I know this may sound a little childish at first, but give it a chance. Building a pillow fort in your bedroom or living room makes for both a great date activity and location, as once you’ve finished building it you can enjoy it however you want, if you know what I mean.

I’d personally recommend setting up a laptop or monitor in the foot of your fort, as this makes it ideal for screening movies – plus think of the opportunity for sleep-over style snacks. What’s more romantic than snuggling up to your partner and stuffing your faces with popcorn?

Cook yourselves a romantic gourmet meal

Maybe you’re not the best cook, maybe you’re Gordon Ramsey, either way, the competitive spirit and potentially delicious outcome of this activity should entice you. The best way to divide a cooking competition is by allocating the starter and dessert to one person, and the main course to the other.

However, each making your own three course meal can be even more satisfying, as you’ll end up with 6 courses overall. Just try to avoid adopting Ramsey-style characteristics while you cook, yelling and swearing is less than romantic.

Treat yourselves to a fancy take-out

If cooking isn’t a strong point in your partnership, not to worry as restaurants are still open to save the day. Why not splash out and host yourselves a lavish meal cooked by professional chefs and delivered to your door. All you have to do is the lay a table with a couple of candles and voila, dinner is served.

Nottingham is brimming with plenty of fun and unqiue restaurants delivering delicious cuisines, such as Piccolino (Italian), Zaap Thai Street Food (Thai), Prickley Pear (Vegan), Zumu (Sushi), Wildwood (Italian), and more.

Give each other a make oveerrrrr!

Getting dressed up seems like a thing of the past in lockdown. Most of us have succumbed to the popular trend of donning sweats or pjs seven days a week, which arguably may not be the most attractive of looks.

So, if you’re trusting, or brave, enough, why not exchange make-overs for Valentine’s? A new look might be exactly what you need to spice up your relationship, or make you both realise how much more attractive you were before.

Hand-craft some cool and unique gifts to exchange

If you’re less materialistic and more sentimental, this is the date for you. Whether your crafting involves painting, pottery, or something a little more unique, you don’t have to be Da Vinci to create something meaningful that your partner will cherish forever.

There’s plenty of kits you can order off of Amazon or Etsy to get you started, and the end product doesn’t even have to be that good: its the thought that counts, right?

Whether or not you’ve been inspired by some of these weird and wonderful Valentines activities, or at least were momentarily entertained, whatever you decide to do this February 14th, remember to stay safe and stay in!

• Which one of these Valentine’s Day couples are you?

• Every type of guy you’ll see on Tinder during lockdown in Notts

• Every type of girl you’ll see on Tinder during lockdown in Notts