Trent students fined £40k for house party in Lenton after hiding 30 guests from police

They said the police were ‘spoiling their fun’

Four students were fined £40,000 after throwing a house party with over 30 people in their house on Kimbolton Avenue, on Tuesday 20th October.

The Trent students, fined £10k, have now been suspended after lying to the police about the party and blaming them for “spoiling their fun”.

Nottingham City council officers were called to the scene where they had been alerted of the party. The students then told them that everyone had already left- but protection officers decided to take a closer look.

Upon inspection, they found over 30 people hiding in the household- from the kitchen, basement to upstairs bedrooms.

The disappointed students said that the police were just “spoiling their fun” and that at uni they should be having the “time of their lives”.

Nottingham Trent University has confirmed the students have all been suspended pending an investigation, which is now underway.

A spokesperson for Nottingham Trent University said: “We have been notified by Nottinghamshire Police this morning that they have imposed £10K fines on NTU students. On receipt of that notification we immediately launched an investigation, and each student has been suspended pending the outcome of our investigation. Any student who is found to have breached our disciplinary regulations can face a range of sanctions, up to and including expulsion.

“We have repeatedly made clear to all students that they – like everyone – have a crucial role to play in limiting the spread of this virus. We know that the vast majority of our students respect the guidelines and advice. We will not tolerate any breaches, and where we have evidence of any breaches, we will always take immediate action under our disciplinary processes.”

Assistant Chief Constable Kate Meynell, of Nottinghamshire Police, added “This needs to stop. The claims that police presented as a barrier to the students’ fun are astounding.

“How many fines do we have to give before the message is understood? We do not take pleasure in handing out fines and would much rather be in a situation where students could enjoy themselves but the reality is that if people do not follow the Covid-19 restrictions, more people will die.

This comes after it was announced that Nottingham currently has the highest rate of Covid in the country, and has entered second tier of the Government’s new lockdown system.

Do you know anything about this story or similar? Message us on our Instagram.