Image may contain: Word, Parade, Crowd, Person, People, Human

Staff at UoN have voted to support more strikes over pay

67 per cent of staff voted in support of further strikes

Staff at the University of Nottingham have voted in favour of more strikes as part of an ongoing pay dispute.

This comes after the overwhelming rejection of the UCEA final offer near the end of the last academic year.

The University and College Union (UCU) opened a ballot on strike action from Thursday 30th August to Friday 19 October. 147 UK universities were balloted and UoN is among only 10 universities where the turnout was over 50 per cent, meaning that staff can act on the results.

Matt Waddup, UCU national head of policy and campaigns, said: "It is very frustrating that while overall the turnout is the highest we have seen in UCU for a national pay ballot in this sector, this is not enough to take action in the vast majority of institutions.

"While we all know the law is unfair, we also know that without a high turnout we cannot turn the anger about the treatment of staff into tangible action so I would like to thank those of you who voted and who worked to increase the turnout for your support."

The UCU have now said its further and higher education committees will meet in the next few days to consider the results and their plan of action.

Strikes over the 2018/2019 academic year are yet to be announced by the UCU but, if and when there is more industrial action, lecturers that are part of the union at the University of Nottingham are now set to take part.