Manchester University staff will strike for three days this month

Along with every other UK university

Staff at every university in Manchester are going on strike later this month in what the UCU is calling the biggest strike to hit UK universities ever.

University of Manchester, Manchester Metropolitan University, the Royal Northern College of Music and the University of Salford staff members will be striking on:

• November 24th

• November 25th

• November 30th

The University and College Union announced this afternoon over 70,000 members are set to take part across 150 universities. Strikers are campaigning for improved pay, working conditions and pensions. This will be the biggest strike to hit UK universities ever.

UCU’s general secretary Dr Jo Grady said: “70,000 members on strike to defend their jobs”, “win a proper pay rise” and “take back their pensions”.

“We will now plan to deliver the biggest picket lines in UCU history on the 24th and 25th November. On the 30th, we want as many of you as possible to head to London for the biggest ever demonstration of UCU members. We are going to protest ahead of our talks with the employers.”

She said: “Our message during these three days is very clear. Put a proper offer on the table or this is just the start of our fight back. This strike will be like no other we have called before. The ballot was different, the action will be different, the result will be different. The longer the picket line, the shorter the dispute.”

If employers do not act on these demands, striking action will continue into the New Year alongside a marking and assessment boycott.

UCU reports that collective vice chancellor earnings across UK universities are estimated at £45million. UCU said the sector can  afford to meet staff demands.