It’s official, the students of Manchester will be voting Labour in the snap general election

Over 65 per cent of Manchester students said they will be voting Labour on the 8th June

Hide Images

The results are in from The Tab’s snap election survey, with the majority of students – over 65 per cent, voting Labour with 57 per cent of Labour voters citing policy as their main motivation for voting.

Contrary to popular opinion, more students cited Labour’s leader as their main reason for voting than Conservative, meaning that 11.3 per cent of Labour voters will be voting for Corbyn alone, compared to 10.4 per cent of Conservative voters who will be voting to keep Theresa May as Prime Minister.

The Conservative party received 16.7 per cent of the student vote, and Liberal Democrats just 9.4 per cent.

Manchester’s green queens seem to be in short supply with only 2.4 per cent of the prospective voters opting for the Green Party.

No one is planning on voting for UKIP, and Plaid Cymru, SDLP and UUP each received just 0.16 per cent (one vote) each.

There are also just 0.32 per cent of students planning to spoil their ballot, but 0.82 per cent of students also felt that they wouldn’t vote for any of the political parties, or had a lesser known one in mind.

Over half of the students who completed the survey (51 per cent) cited the party’s policy as their main reason for voting, however 22.59 per cent of the participants also felt that they were only voting a certain way as there wasn’t a better option.