Students targeted by masked trick-or-treaters

Masked men spent Halloween attacking students with fireworks

Students at an Edgeworth Drive residence have been shaken up following an incident where two trick-or-treaters in white masks threw fireworks through their front door.

The students were getting ready for Manchester Student Union’s Halloween party when they heard a knock on the door. Second year English Literature and Drama student, Will answered it to two men in white masks, reminiscent of those from recent film Hush, who claimed to be trick-or-treaters.

Another masked figure was seen behind them on a bike. Will proceeded to go further into the house to get some sweets whilst fellow flatmate Maddie stayed at the door.

A short while later he heard shouting and looked into the hall to see a disorientating mixture of white lights and smoke. The residents all ran into the kitchen before hearing a series of loud bangs. By the time they returned to the front door, the three men had disappeared.

Scorch marks to the hallway and stairs following the attack

Nobody was hurt in the attack, however damage has been caused to the hallway and stairs of the house. Understandably, everyone involved is a bit shaken up with Maddie stating, “I thought they had a gun”.

In another attack later in the evening, masked trick-or-treaters, thought to be the same people, threw fireworks into the face of a student who was walking through the Fallowfield area.

Second year, Marina (middle), was a victim of the masked boys attacks

Marina and her friend were walking down Egerton Road and noticed a group of boys in masks shouting and being generally rowdy. They continued walking before stopping abruptly when one of the boys threw a firework straight past her face and into the front garden of a house where a group of girls were sitting.

Everyone moved to safety before the firework exploded and afterwards some of the girls chased the boys down the street. By this point, other people on the street were aware but that didn’t stop the boys from throwing another firework in a different garden. The boys then continued cycling, presumably to cause more trouble.

Marina said, “It made us feel a bit shaken up and unsafe. We were shocked to think this could happen at 9pm on a busy road”.

The boys in question had also apparently been seen shouting threats at passersby as they made they’re way through South Manchester and had attempted similar attacks on others.