Hall of residence fire forces evacuation

Nearly 1000 evacuated after sixth floor blaze

fire hall of residence students

A Manchester hall of residence had to be evacuated after a fire broke out in the early hours of Tuesday morning.

Should have gone for the pot noodle

Should have gone for the pot noodle

The blaze took place at Manchester Student Village, a private hall on Lower Chatham Street near the city centre.

An oven reportedly caught on fire on the sixth floor after a student had forgotten about cooking some food.

About a thousand residents were forced out onto the street at 3am as a precaution.

Manchester Student Village

Manchester Student Village

“Every year our crews deal with a spate of cooking fires when freshers come to Manchester”, said councilor David Acton, chair of Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Authority.

“Leaving home and beginning to cook for yourself is an exciting time, but please take care”, he added.

There were no injuries in the incident, but the smoke caused damage to the sixth floor.