Four students test positive and 20 students isolating on Loughborough campus

Students in Rutherford and Royce are among those isolating

Loughborough University has confirmed that around twenty students on campus are being told to self-isolate due to four confirmed coronavirus cases.

Students in Rutherford and Royce are self-isolating for ten days after two coronavirus tests came back positive. The location for the further two cases is still undisclosed.

Though the total number of COVID-19 cases connected to the University is still unpublished, Vice-Chancellor Bob Allison confirmed that as of 8am this morning the number of active COVID-19 cases on-campus stands at four. A number of test results are due today, however.

The Vice-Chancellor has also outlined the University’s strategy on combating Covid-19. This includes the campus rapid testing facility, a reaffirmation of the social distancing guidelines and also a reminder on the “seven golden rules”.

A Loughborough University spokesperson said: “The University is working closely with Public Health England and will follow their guidance. If we all continue to follow the rules, we are confident we can deliver a successful term.

“We are supporting the students affected by delivering food, facilitating safe outdoor exercise and our pastoral teams have been in direct contact.”