Franki Alpert: Feminism has ruined chivalry for me

Just hear me out

chivalry feminism Loughborough Loughborough University no more page 3 page 3

I believe in women’s rights and that men and women should be equal in all aspects of life, like in the home and in the workplace.

But since the recent emergence of a “male-hating” craze the real purpose of Feminism has been lost.

Twitter accounts like @EverydaySexism implore women to discuss issues, such as how when they get catcalled (with compliment’s such as “Nice legs darlin’!”) and then respond with “Fuck off pervert!”, which is supposed to make them feel empowered.

Are you serious?

If another female said that you had a nice pair of legs would you respond like that? What if a lesbian said your bum looked good?

Girls openly bombard each other with compliments in club toilets, but as soon as a male compliments a female, he is seen as a sexual predator. Double standards much?

Yes, I’m aware in some situations this can be quite intimidating, especially if a women is on her own. I understand that and do not condone it.

Feminism started with Emmeline Pankhurst and her “Votes for Women” campaign, but has now turned into proudly growing and dyeing your armpit hair and posting it all over Facebook. Yes. This is Feminism at its finest. Well done ladies, you are truly fighting the patriarchy.

Best suited to the male physique

An even more laughable practice of the modern, tree-hugging, teabag recycling Feminist is that of “Free Bleeding”.

That’s when you let the river run red without sanitary products – because they were created by a male-run system designed to suppress us (yawn).

Design first year Holly argues: “Free Bleeding is dangerous, disgusting and down right degrading, as potentially smearing your period blood all over the place can easily spread infection”.

Not to mention it would ruin your clothes.

Use em

Then there’s the feminist backlash to Page 3. These models are working women, who are making a living (and therefore not succumbing to patriarchal gender roles), but modern feminists argue that they are giving in to the male-run system by objectifying their bodies.

I’m pretty sure these single, cat-cuddling, anti-Venus Feminists would not feel the same if Page 3 involved topless males.

Why aren’t they causing an uproar over topless male models on the front cover of Men’s Health magazine?

The SU hosted a debate on Page 3 last week

The issue in our modern, forward thinking society is not with having equality for the sexes, but for making sure all men feel guilty for the actions of a minority.

Many clubs all over the UK don’t allow bookings for male-only parties, but will allow large groups of women to enter unquestioned.

Why aren’t Feminists uniting in arms against this blatant act of sexism?

Why is it now seen as okay to criticise men who hold doors open for women, or who pay for dinners, because it could be seen as trying to overpower them? Don’t make me laugh.

What I’m trying to get at is that Feminism has begun to focus on the mundane, rather than on genuine issues in society. Look at how scientist Dr Matt Taylor was virtually ostracised for wearing a shirt which depicted cartoon women in bondage gear, instead of being praised for his incredible contributions to the Rosetta mission.

Do people actually find this offensive, or are they just complaining for the sake of it? Whatever the reason, please grow up and put all that effort into changing the world for the better, rather than victimising and humiliating innocent men.