Don your knitwear for Guinness World Record attempt

The market do good ones

Loughborough Loughborough University world record attempt

On December 10, students and locals are being encouraged to don their best christmas knitwear in an attempt to break the world record for most christmas jumpers worn in one place, the record stands at 639.

The record attempt promoted by the SU and the uni is in aid of the national Save the Children Christmas Jumper Day fund-raiser. The campaign which is in its third year has raised £1.6 million for children globally.

The attempt will take place outside Martin Hall in the newly built Shirely Pearce Square at 12:30pm.

There will also be LSU’s Christmas farmers’ market so you can stock up on festive fare, and LSU Media will be providing Christmas music to sing along to and keep you entertained (thankfully the exec won’t be singing…)

The Epinal spoke to former Action Chair, Sarah Haar:

“We are hoping to raise as much money as we can for Save the Children and set a new Guinness World Record at the same time.

The current record stands at 639 and we’re confident we can beat it – in true Loughborough style!

Running alongside the LSU Christmas Farmers’ Market it is set to be a wonderful event for all students, staff and members of the community. We hope to see you there in your festive woollies!”

Promising signs

Maths-whizz Steve is more than impressed with the uni’s efforts, “It’s a great way of spreading christmas cheer and raising money for some good causes, plus I like jumpers.”

Chris, a third year History student, also loved the idea saying, “I think it’s a really fun idea that hopefully most people get behind and it would be fantastic if they do manage to do it.”

The Epinal also spoke to Luc Sadler, a member of Luff’s notorious 5 a side team, How I Met Your Mata, “Love the idea, nothing nothing quite beats wearing christmas jumpers and breaking records.”

Finally, Todd, a third year sports enthusiast said, “It has given me a good reason to get mine out the cupboard and hopefully Loughborough can set a world record which would be cool”.