London Southbank becomes first UK uni to meet standard for supporting male sexual violence survivors

‘This issue affects students in every UK university, but for too long it has not received the attention it deserves’

After a review of their services, London South Bank University has become the first university to meet the national quality standards for supporting male survivors of sexual violence, becoming one of just 30 UK organisations that have received this accreditation.

The national quality standard was established by the Male Survivors Partnership to produce “a quality assurance framework that enables organisations working with boys and men affected by sexual abuse, rape and sexual exploitation.”

London Southbank has been awarded the standard because of its accredited sexual violence liaison officer.

The Director of Student Services at LSBU, Rosie Holden, said: “I am proud that LSBU has become the first UK university service to be independently accredited as meeting the needs of male victims of sexual violence. The Sexual Violence Quality Standard demonstrates LSBU’s commitment to learn and improve how we support all victims and survivors of sexual violence.  

“LSBU is the first university to be accredited thanks to the invaluable support and guidance from LimeCulture and Male Survivors Partnership. We will continue working with them to deliver the highest standards of support to male victims of sexual violence.” 

The UK National Quality Standards for services supporting male victims and survivors of sexual violence are issued by the Male Survivors Partnership and LimeCulture. These aim to “enable organisations working with boys and men affected by sexual abuse, rape and sexual exploitation to review their services against an independent evidence base” and improve the quality of services that institutions offer male survivors of sexual violence. LSBU has been accredited on the basis of the services they offered, interviews and a site visit by the Quality Standard officiators.

LSBU initiated a Sexual Violence Liaison Support Team and specialist support for male survivors of sexual violence following a report by Universities UK about the sexual violence that continues to be perpetrated against university students.  Their service advisors all received “specialist and accredited training” to ensure the support they offer students is of a high standard.

The LSBU specialist team has introduced the following services for students:

• Advice about reporting sexual violence

• Liaison with internal and external organisations and specialist organisations, including counselling services

• Academic support for students to learn and achieve what they are capable of.