City University of London is considering academic support policies to best support students

Does this mean City students will be getting a no detriment policy?

City University has confirmed that it will be reviewing its academic measures to make sure that those students whose academic attainment may have been impacted by the pandemic will not be affected.

They are working alongside the Students’ Union to consider further actions to be taken to support the existing academic measures they have put in place.

The university has also clarified its position on student accommodation, rent discounts and its Digital Inclusion Fund, a financial service for students impacted by lockdown needing support.

A spokesperson from City, University of London told the Tab:

“No detriment policy

“City recognises that students will need reassurance that we will take into account specific circumstances that may have impacted on academic attainment and performance during the 2020-21 academic year. We have already put some measures in place and will be undertaking further work, in consultation with the Students’ Union, to consider any further actions.

“Student accommodation

“We recognise the impact the pandemic has had on those students who are renting accommodation from one of our accommodation partners but are not currently occupying it.

“While City does not own or manage any student accommodation, we are pleased that two of our main private providers, Unite Group and IQ are offering discounts or rent payment suspension to eligible students if they are not currently living in their accommodation.

“The cost of empty student accommodation is rightly a national issue and what can be done to help students is being discussed at government level. We are contributing to those discussions. For now, we advise students to continue to fulfil their obligations in their tenancy agreements and the allowances providers are making.

“Wider support for students

“The pandemic has created exceptionally challenging circumstances for students and staff at universities. We would encourage any student with a concern to get in touch with us directly so that we can offer them individual support.

“To support our students throughout these challenging times, we have created the Digital Inclusion Fund where if students are eligible or their financial circumstances have changed due to the recent lockdown, City will assist with the costs of specific hardware and software that they require for their studies.

“Our student mental health, counselling and accessibility service continues to see students remotely. Students also have access to TogetherAll, a free confidential online peer support community which offers a range of tools, resources and online support 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

“Our Northampton Square Library is open and we are providing bookable individual study spaces to support students with their studies and assessments. Alongside this, we have ensured our learning resources and student support services are available to access online.”