Image may contain: Advertisement, Billboard, Lighting, Text, Street, Downtown, Vehicle, Automobile, Car, Transportation, Tarmac, Asphalt, Building, Town, Urban, Metropolis, City, Road, Human, Person

‘KOKO is saved’: Damage from KOKO fire was limited to roof of the building

The main stage is undamaged

A fire destroyed the famed dome of KOKO's venue on Monday night, but the London Fire Brigade have stated a quick response by fire services saved the building from complete destruction.

The London Fire Brigade originally reported only 30 per cent of the roof was damaged, with the fire under control by early morning.

Other reports have since confirmed that only the roof was damaged in the fire, and the main stage area was saved from any damage.

Station Commander Jon Lewis, who was at the scene, said: “Firefighters quick action and hard work in the early stages meant the fire was contained to the roof and saved the rest of the building.

"Fire crews will remain at the scene throughout the morning. The Brigade was called at 20:56 and the fire was under control by 02:37. Fire crews from Euston, Kentish Town, Islington, Soho, Holloway and surrounding fire stations are at the scene. The cause of the fire is under investigation.”

The legendary venue which has hosted everyone from Madonna to Clash (as well as the best Friday night in London, ANTICS) was saved by 60 firefighters who were called to the scene shortly before 9:00pm.

KOKO was due to reopen in the spring after its refurb. It is currently unknown if the fire will affect the date of reopening.