Image may contain: Urban, Fire, Flame, Bonfire

Koko in Camden engulfed in flames as roof catches fire

People have been warned to avoid the area

Koko in Camden was engulfed in flames tonight as a fire broke out on the roof of the venue.

The London Fire Brigade sent 60 firefighters and eight fire engines to Koko after being called just before 9pm.

Image may contain: People, Architecture, Stage, Downtown, Town, Urban, City, Building, Lighting, Vehicle, Automobile, Car, Transportation, Human, Person

My heart is broken

The London Fire Brigade said on Twitter: "We were called at 20:56 to a fire at a Camden nightclub under refurbishment.

"30 per cent of the roof is alight. Firefighters working hard to save the rest of the building. Please avoid the area if possible."

Brad, a Central St Martins student who was passing Koko at the time of the fire, told The London Tab: "All the buses were lined up, they had to stop and get people off. It was the biggest fire I've ever seen, there's fire engines and police cars everywhere."

The building was closed for large refurbishments at the time of the fire, with most of the building covered in scaffolding.

Image may contain: Stage, Night Life, Town, Building, City, Urban, Light, LED, Spotlight, Crowd, Lighting

Images show that the Fire Brigade managed to stop the fire quickly, with Local Councillor Oliver Cooper writing on Twitter: "Things very much under control now. Looks like KOKO is saved."

The London Tab reported on the closure of KOKO earlier this year, with the venue originally scheduled to reopen in Spring 2020.