UCL Go Down Fighting

UCL bravely go down in the semi-finals.

ucl

After a hard fought contest on Monday night UCL’s University Challenge team went down to Pembroke College, Cambridge by 185 points to 125.

It was all looking promising for UCL after a bright start with the first starter for ten going to the Gower Street boys but Pembroke soon fought back and after a late flurry at the end pulled away for a comfortable victory.

Captain Jamie Karran, the man mountain himself, pulled out all the stops, ably assisted by Andrews on his left and Cook and Carver to his right. But his flowing coloured locks couldn’t put off the opposition, although they did seem to impress host Jeremy Paxman.

UCL also provided plenty of laughs in the studio when Tom Andrews stated that the two words which had the most impact on the English governing classes between the two world wars was “the working classes smell”. Paxman didn’t even try to stifle his laughter but UC soon redeemed themselves.

Ultimately though it was the college from the country backwater who came out on top despite UCL fighting like beavers for the entire half hour.

Congrats to our brave team regardless on their achievement and we should always remember that the team who wins at University Challenge is the team whose members spend the most time having a thoroughly boring university experience.

Well done on that Pembroke, come back to us when you’ve got Ghandi.