Here’s which romcom you should watch on Valentine’s Day based on your Leeds accommodation

Enjoy swooning to the likes of Mark Darcy, Patrick Verona and Alex Stewart x

If, like me, you look for any opportunity to rewatch Renee Zellweger telling Colin Firth that her New Year’s Resolution is to “drink less and stop smoking” – advice that most Leeds students could do with taking on board – then I’ve got just the thing for you.

This Valentines Day, I’ve done the ultimate spot of matchmaking to decide which iconic romcom you should watch based on your Leeds accommodation. As a fourth year veteran, I’ve poured all my knowledge into these pairings, so rest assured that they’re going to be 100 per cent compatible.

White Rose – Maid in Manhattan

One of the more expensive accoms in Leeds, there’s no arguing that White Rose is stunning – but remember people, money isn’t everything. That’s exactly the lesson that Ralph Fiennes’ character, high flying politician Christopher Marshall, learnt in Maid in Manhattan – while the real Caroline Lane might have been the more socially acceptable match, he only had eyes for hotel maid Marisa, and, really, who can blame him?

James Baillie – Bridget Jones’ Diary

In my eyes, this hardly needs explaining; everything about the chaotic energy of loveable singleton Bridget Jones screams JB. I’ve definitely seen equivalents of the blue soup at flat parties I’ve walked into and to be honest, given it’s James Baillie, I didn’t bat an eye. On top of that, I can’t think of anyone who wouldn’t want to be friends with Renee Zellweger’s frazzled English woman – kind of like I can’t think of many people who didn’t want to apply to JB.

Lupton – 10 Things I Hate About You

Now some people might think Lupton is just the weird prison block looking accommodation behind Headingley Arndale but long-time Leeds students know that everyone there is pretty cool, just like Kat Stratford in 10 Things I Hate About You. I could fully imagine Heath Ledger’s bad boy character, Patrick Verona, rocking up at the gates to try and sweep you off your feet.

Central Village – Clueless

Maybe it’s because it’s got the best of both worlds – being right next to the city centre but also just off campus – but Central Village seems to give main character energy. It’s not really surprising, then, that I think Clueless is the best match. Cher Horowitz rules her school, she has the trendiest fits and lots of friends, exactly like most of the people living at CV. Remember though, as Cher discovered, popularity isn’t always everything!

Henry Price – Crazy Stupid Love

You’ll soon realise that all the people from Henry Price seem to know absolutely everyone –  your best friend for primary school? Check. The mysterious girl in Brotherton you’ve been crushing on? Check. Your cousin twice removed? Check. The feeling Ryan Gosling must have got when he realised he was dating the daughter of his middle aged protégé is exactly the same feeling you get when you bump into a one night stand while you’re waiting in the queue for those Jack and Jill toilets. Nightmare.

Devonshire – The Princess Bride

I’ll admit: the main reason I thought of this pairing was because Devonshire gives the same fairytale vibes – at least on the outside, don’t quote me on the inside – as The Princess Bride. This slept on rom-com, which came out in 1987, is a 10/10 and not just because I have the biggest crush on Westley. Likewise, most people haven’t a bad word to say about Dev – it just gets a bit forgotten about when it’s 100 metres down the road from James Baillie.

Leodis – About Time

Just like About Time sometimes gets left off the list of GOATed romcoms, people don’t really think of Leodis when they’re asked which Leeds accommodations are the best. Tucked away on the edge of Woodhouse, it has it’s own thing going on but it’s a great thing nonetheless – my personal favourite part was the weekly firework displays you got from the kids in the dodgy park next door.

Oxley – Love Rosie

Look, they’re wholesome, they’re long distance (sorry for rubbing it in Oxley) – it’s like a match made in heaven.