University of Leeds has postponed July 2021 graduation

But festivals are going ahead?

University of Leeds has joined many other UK universities in postponing its July 2021 graduation ceremonies, which were due to take place in July. The university confirmed they will hold in-person graduations for those graduating in 2021, and those who finished in 2020, in the Great Hall in spring 2022.

In an email sent today to final year students, the university stated: “We’ll be organising some celebrations on campus for the end of term, to help you mark your successes ahead of your formal graduation.”

However, for many this will undoubtedly provide little consolation.

While the pandemic remains unpredictable, the news has come come as a shock to the Class of 2021 at UoL. With nightclubs, festivals and other such events set to go ahead in June, it is disappointing that the university have made this decision. A postponement until 2022, instead of later this year, seems particularly unnecessary with social distancing measures likely to be lifted this summer.

Studying through the pandemic has been challenging for many students, but a graduation at the end of it all to celebrate with friends, family and tutors, acted as much needed motivator.

Though students are pleased that an in-person graduation will eventually take place, many feel let down by the news.

Want to write stories like this? Join the team, no experience required. DM us via @TheTab_Leeds on Instagram or The Tab Leeds on Facebook.