We went charity shopping for Sugar’s Mamma Mia singalong so you don’t have to

We didn’t spend a lot of money, money, money x

In an event that has got students buzzing, the Sugarhouse is hosting a Mamma Mia movie singalong event on Monday (February 13th) in collaboration with Penguin Events UK. They’ll be showing the original 2008 Mamma Mia film, starting at 7 pm, and describe the event as being “a good old party”, as well as having a £50 prize up for grabs for the best costume.

So in case you are wanting the chance of winning the best costume prize, or are just wanting to pretend you’re on a Greek island or back in the 70s (either way we won’t judge) but don’t want to look like you’re wearing a fancy dress costume, we trawled through the charity shops of Lancaster to bring you the best bargains for your entry on Monday night. No need to give us any credit.

(All these items were found in Lancaster charity shops on 2nd February 2023).

St. John’s Hospice Shop – 85 Penny Street

This white and black spotty top is the perfect slightly ditzy companion for a pair of flare jeans, to fully embrace the 1970s fashion vibe. Tall Size 10, £1.

This almost metallic blue very much gives a 1970s Eurovision vibe – a mix of Bucks fizz and Waterloo performance outfits. Size 14, £1.

Oxfam clothes shop – 62 Penny Street

This silver shiny dress basically screams disco and ABBA, so seems like the perfect outfit for a Mamma Mia singalong! Size 6, £10.

If you want to truly embrace the Meryl Streep/Donna Sheridan denim vibes, then you can’t go wrong with these denim dungarees. Size 6, £4.

Or if you want a more feminine denim piece but still capture the casual Greek idea of the movie’s outfits, there’s always the option of a dungaree dress like this one. Size 12, £5.

This pink dress gives a modern twist on the 1970s aesthetic, and seems very much like something young Tanya from Mamma Mia 2 would definitely have worn. Size 8, £9.

For £2 you can t really go wrong with this dress. It seems like the perfect floral to imagine you live on a sunny Greek island, rather than in rainy Lancaster. Size 12, £2.

Barnardo’s – 59 Penny Street

Wearing this sequined top can help you recreate the essence of classic ABBA outfits, but with a bit more of a modern twist, thanks to the understated nature of the sparkles. Size 16, £14.

If you’re wanting to go all out with your outfit, this is the blazer dress for you. The glitter collar and cuffs add extra disco elements to this otherwise matte blazer dress. Size small, £8.

Cancer Research UK – 54 Market Street

Glitter pants are definitely a 1970s partying outfit classic. Wearing these, you’ll be able to sparkle and shine under disco lights whilst your singing your heart out to all the ABBA classics. Size 20, £2.

With its wavy pattern, this dress looks like it belongs in the years when ABBA were around. Pair it with a pair of knee-high boots (preferably white), you can’t go wrong in trying to recreate the 70s short dress and high boots iconic look. Size small, £3.

British Heart Foundation – Unit B, 1 Cheapside

And finally, with the classy subtle but sequined look, you can never go wrong. This top would be perfect if you want to dress up a bit for the event but aren’t wanting to go for an overly dramatic outfit. Size 18, £5.

Related articles recommended by this writer: