These are definitively the stereotypes for every Exeter course

Law students can be easily recognised by the infamous Law hoodies

We can all agree that broadly speaking, generalisations are not the most helpful contributions to our culture. That being said, here at Exeter there is no point denying that one can tell a lot about a person if they turn up to campus in athleisure, or swan around forum in business casual.

If you spend more than 10 minutes in the Forum, there are some trends that you can’t ignore; in fact, most Exeter students merely need to glance at a fellow student to know what subject they’re reading.

However, for those of you that aren’t so clued up on Exeter uni culture, here are some things to lookout for:

Business:

There’s really no logic to this, but any Exeter student will understand what I mean when I say Business students are the most likely to opt for a Costa coffee over a Pret on their Forum study breaks. These students can be identified on campus by their sporting of designer trackies and constant moaning about how much work they have. In reality, they are rumoured to have some of the least work on campus, although somehow will still manage to land that elusive JP Morgan internship.

English Literature:

A few things come to mind when thinking about Exeter English students: consistently being well-dressed, owning one of those Penguin tote bags, and constantly having at least two novels to read before their next seminar. This cohort are the most likely of any Exeter students to be introverted, yet they are, ironically, one of the only subjects to be assessed on seminar participation. They will definitely want to either go into journalism or publishing after they graduate, and they will definitely plan on doing so through one of Daddy’s contacts at the BBC. English Literature students are the friendliest of the School of Humanities, however the significant downfall of this subject is that their lack of contact means each class indirectly costs them about £200. Bummer.

Politics:

There is a gaping difference between the two sides of the politics student spectrum. Sit through one core lecture and you’ll realise how this cohort is split into two distinct breeds:

The Politics Boy:

If you’re unlucky enough to come into contact with a politics boy, there a few things you should prepare yourself for. Be ready for consistent mansplaining & a lot of unwarranted comments during lectures (even in a full Alumni Auditorium). These boys are the walking, talking personification of a pair of skinny jeans.

The Politics Girl:

By absolute contrast, the Politics girl is the best of the best. The amount these ladies put up with while still being the smartest, wittiest, most hardworking girls on campus is admirable. Sit a group of them in a room and bring up the topic of being ignored in an academic setting and you can literally feel the feminist unity. If you’re looking to be initiated into this group of Exeter elites, you must be ready to bring out the death stare whenever a Politics boy needs to be put in his place.

Languages:

Compared to the controversy within the Politics department, Languages students are a very easy-going bunch. Languages is arguably the most extroverted and welcoming department you’ll find on campus, as these students are essentially studying how to talk to people in different parts of the world. It’s not very difficult to spot a Languages student on campus, as they’ll be the first to brag about their Year Abroad; if they haven’t already told you that they spent the last year flouncing around Europe, they’ll being sporting a Museo del Prado tote, or a Sorbonne Université jumper. In fact, Year Abroad flaunting is the Languages student’s downfall; either that or relentlessly attempting to speak in their target language on nights out.

Economics:

They may be in the same faculty as Business students, but don’t make the mistake of confusing an Economics Student for their Business counterparts. Economics students are marked by their religious commitment to athleisure as the dress code for all seminars and lectures. These students will not contribute in seminars, because they’re too awkward, too cool or both. These students are most likely to vote Tory and least likely to actually enjoy their degree. If you’re struggling to find an Exeter Economics students on campus, head up to SW11 where they move in packs after graduating.

Law:

The easiest way to identify an Exeter Law Student is by the infamous Law School hoodie, that will be worn a minimum of four times a week. Another identifying factor is that Law students will still do all their reading out of physical books, making it abundantly clear that they’ve got 300 pages a week to get through just for their core modules! Law students are enigmatically always claiming to be behind, but consistently seeming to have their life together, having just applied to their 18th summer internship despite it being only October. Law fashion can be categorised into the students who rock up to Newman Blue in their pyjama bottoms and messy buns, and their counterparts who swan around the Forum in business casual.

Sports Science:

An Exeter Sport Scientist is slightly harder to come across than most other subjects as they are usually tucked away at St Lukes. However, if you see someone either wearing Gymshark or EUAFC stash on campus the chances are they study Sports Science. You’re most likely to find a Sports Science student on the benches outside on a TP Wednesday, and least likely to find them actually doing any uni work on a Thursday morning.

Medicine:

Exeter medic students are following in the admirable footsteps of Doctor Alex in their choice of degree. However, these students are almost impossible to come across as they surround themselves only with fellow medics, probably because they’re all about 10 years older and in their sixth year. Medics are least likely to be found at TP Wednesday (can’t have a late night before an early morning placement shift), and most likely to have got with everyone on their course.