Edi student forced to get emergency loan after uni sends scholarship to the wrong account

They are still yet to receive their funding or a full explanation from the uni

A second-year student at the University of Edinburgh has been forced to apply for an emergency loan because the university sent her scholarship money to the wrong bank account.

Second-year student Leigh Smith has told The Edinburgh Tab she had no choice but to apply for emergency funds from the students’ union (EUSA), after her payment from the university’s Global Access Scholarship did not arrive.

The university took a week to respond to emails from Leigh, sent after the money did not arrive on time in September.

She was eventually told their ‘new payment system’ was to blame, which was causing delays in students receiving their funding. Confusingly, the email stated that her payment was released the day before, despite her not seeing the funds.

When Leigh followed up on the unpaid amount, the university told her it was sent to an account with details that did not belong to her.

The university did not respond to this point, forcing the student to apply for an emergency loan from EUSA. This would have been her second year claiming the scholarship money if it had arrived on time.

The Global Access Scholarship is one of the many bursaries and scholarships the University offers its students. It is aimed at academically-gifted students from the USA with financial barriers. It covers tuition fees, living costs and other expenses that may occur (including travel, visas and healthcare in the UK).

It comes amidst the cost of living crisis and soaring rent prices for students and others around Edinburgh. Research by NatWest earlier this year found Edinburgh to be the most expensive city for students in the UK, as students’ expenditure outweighs their income.

Leigh told The Tab Edinburgh: “It’s definitely made me feel bitter towards the University. They’re supposed to be helping me, and yet when it’s come down to it, they just haven’t. I am so confused as to why the University would send out a payment without confirming my bank details or sending an invoice, especially since I previously received a scholarship payment in July to my bank account.

My flatmate has had to help me pay for things, which is so amazing, but if I didn’t have her and this happened to someone else, I can’t imagine they would be as okay with it.”

Leigh has not heard back from the University since she told them the payment had been sent to the wrong account.

“I have no idea when they will contact me, which makes it so much worse.”

A University of Edinburgh spokesperson said: “We are proud to offer one of the most generous bursary support packages of all UK universities, particularly for funding offered to students who are estranged or care leavers. In rare instances where there are issues with payment of agreed scholarships or bursaries, we will work with the student to ensure this is resolved as quickly as possible.”

Recommended related articles by this writer:

• Edinburgh University students living in converted common rooms due to housing shortage

• Edi Youth Resistance reclaims Gordon Aikman theatre to ‘build communities of resistance’

• Scottish Parliament passes emergency rent freeze law