Scottish Parliament passes emergency rent freeze law

It will apply to private properties and student accommodation

The Scottish Parliament has passed emergency legislation to freeze rent prices in Scotland until March 31 2023.

Members of the Scottish Parliament (MSPs) voted by 89-27 for the Cost of Living (Tenant Protection) (Scotland) Bill, with only the Conservative Party opposing the emergency bill.

The law bans landlords from increasing rents this winter, and evictions will also be outlawed in most circumstances.

The move will prevent rent cost increases for all of Edinburgh’s students, as it will apply to both private landlords and student accommodation.

However, the cap will not apply in instances where landlords face increased maintenance costs or mortgage interest payments on their properties.

Patrick Harvie of the Scottish Greens said he was “delighted” his proposed bill had passed with the support of the SNP, Greens, Labour and Liberal Democrats. Only the Conservative Party voted against the measures, which they believe were proposed and passed through parliament too quickly.

Recommended related articles by this writer:

• Edinburgh University students living in converted common rooms due to housing shortage

• Edi Youth Resistance reclaims Gordon Aikman theatre to ‘build communities of resistance’

• I watched ‘Don’t Worry Darling’ so you don’t have to – here’s what it’s really like