A memorial protest for Sarah Everard is being held at Scottish Parliament tonight at 6pm

The protest marks one year since Sarah Everard’s death

TW: Sexual violence

A memorial protest in memory of Sarah Everard is being held at 6pm tonight 0utside the Scottish Parliament.

The protest is being organised by Strut Safe, and will include speeches from 12 speakers. The event will last approximately 90 minutes.

Sarah Everard was kidnapped and murdered by police officer Wayne Couzens on 3rd March 2021, as she walked home in London. Today marks exactly one year since her death.

Speaking to The Edinburgh Tab, Strut Safe founder Alice said: “Sarah Everard’s death marked a significant turning point. It exposed the brutality of misogynistic violence that many of us are constantly threatened by, suffer and frequently don’t survive.

“It served as a reminder that we are never safe and a wake up call that we are not protected or valued by the institutions that claim to do so. In the year since her passing, we have lost so many more to violence despite promises that her death would incite meaningful change.

“We will come together on 3rd March to not only demand change and to mourn Sarah and the countless others lost, but to demonstrate that progress is inevitable and is the only path we will accept.

“There is no place in our society for those who perpetrate violence, for those who who protect them or for those who encourage violence or deliberately ignore it. Please join us.”

More information on the protest tonight can be found here.

Recommended related articles by this writer:

Edinburgh University has had 76 reported incidents of sexual misconduct since 2016

Here are 11 ways Edinburgh students can support Ukraine

Edinburgh Uni VP apologises for ‘failure’ to deal with student’s sexual violence claim