Here are 11 ways Edinburgh students can support Ukraine

A list of ways to donate, protest, and petition for change

If you’ve been watching the news this week and feeling helpless, you’re not alone. So, we’ve put together some of the ways you can support Ukraine, locally in Edinburgh and also through international organisations.

1. Donate to With Ukraine

This is a special fund established by the Ukrainian Embassy in the UK to provide humanitarian assistance to Ukraine’s civilian population.

2. Donate to the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)  

The UN Refugee Agency help to provide shelter and support for those in Ukraine who are having to flee to safety. Over 677,000 refugees have already crossed borders to seek safety in neighbouring countries. Donations help to provide emergency shelter for those fleeing or left with damaged homes, relief items such as blankets and emergency payments, and also community support to provide access to social services and psychological support.

3. Donate to The Red Cross

As the security situation allows, the Ukrainian Red Cross Society (URCS) and the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) will continue to respond to existing and emerging humanitarian needs. The Red Cross has supported people affected by this conflict for years and will continue to offer support. Your donation will help to provide food, water, first aid, medicine, warm clothes, and shelter. So far, volunteers have already distributed over 30,000 food and hygiene parcels, and are assisting those with disabilities in evacuating.

4. Use the Defend Ukraine website to find specific organisations and causes to help 

Has a long list of verified charities you can donate to, humanitarian, medical supplies, and military aid. You can also donate to support volunteers, journalists, children, and refugees. The website contains over 12 different Ukrainian charities which you can support.

5. Buy from Ukrainian creators on Etsy

Buy a digital file (sewing pattern, online planner, etc.) from a Ukrainian seller on Etsy. This way the seller doesn’t have to send anything but will still receive money from your sale.

6. Buy and donate items for a collection by Edinburgh’s Polish Community

The Polish Community are doing a massive donation initiative from the 1st-4th March. The full list of items that are eligible for donation can be found on their Facebook, but the three main categories are medical, over-the-counter-drugs, food and daily needs. The two donations points are Food Plus Grocery (Pewex Delicatessen), and Food Plus Supermarket (Pewex Granton).

7. Contribute to a local collection being taken directly to Poland for refugees

Instagram user Karolina Dziedzic is appealing for food and hygiene products which her dad will be driving over to Poland next week to pass over. If bringing food please make sure it is canned so it won’t go off. The following locations are being used for drop off:

• Tattu Restaurant (just off St Andrew’s Square)

• Lovecrumbs (on Bread Street)

• The Street (on York Place)

• Lemon & Thyme (in Kelso, The Borders)

The deadline is the 4th March and the following items are currently the most needed:

• Personal hygiene products

• Sanitary products

• Wet wipes and pampers

• First aid kits

• Baby food

• Pet food

• Raincoats

• Water purifying tablets

• Batteries and chargers

7. QMU students can donate to their uni’s collection

Queen Margaret’s University are taking donations (warm clothing, blankets, towels, sleeping bags, baby items, etc). The drop off point is in Maggie’s Bar and Cafe at the University.

8. Email your local MP

Email your local MP urging them to support Ukraine and push for more sanctions. Use  this site to find out who your local MP is and contact them you to send an email to them, as well as other council members.

9. Stay Informed

Keeping informed with what is happening in Ukraine from those who are there. English outlets such as the Kyiv Independent, and the New Voice of Ukraine are good sources of information. Some Ukraine-based journalists include: Olga Tokariuk, Christopher Miller, Nika Melkozerova, and Illia Ponomarenko.

10. Attend a protest

The University of Glasgow Ukrainian Society are holding demonstrations on the 28th, 1st, and 2nd at the Scott Monument from 5pm-7pm.

11. Sign a petition

Worldwide Petition – Stop This War

The petition is currently at over 2 million signatures and comes with the following message:

“To governments everywhere:

“We stand with the people of Ukraine and Russia who do not want this war. Putin’s invasion is not just an attack on Ukraine. It is an attack on freedom. An attack on democracy. An attack on truth. We urge you to respond with unity, holding Putin’s regime in Moscow and its associates, cheerleaders and supporters to account by imposing far-reaching sanctions, and doing all you can to stop the war in Ukraine. In the face of fear, choose courage. In the face of division, choose unity. And in the face of aggression, choose peace.”

Worldwide Petition – Ask NATO to Close Airspace Over Ukraine 

The petition asks NATO member states and Ukraine-friendly countries to close the airspace over Ukraine and deploy peacekeeping troops in Ukraine, provide military assistance to Kyiv and support the Ukrainian people.

UK – Pledge Military Support to Defend Ukraine 

The petition says: “We find the threat of economic sanctions to be utterly insufficient to deter Russia and want the Government to pledge to defend Ukraine, up to and including full-scale military intervention if required.”

Recommended related articles by this writer

• ‘We had less than 48 hours to get out safely’: Edi students on their experiences fleeing Russia

• Edinburgh University bans students from travelling to Ukraine during their year abroad

Edi Uni has suspended all programmes in Russia, with students told to leave immediately