Edi Uni has suspended all programmes in Russia, with students told to leave immediately

This comes after Russia launches its invasion on Ukraine

Edinburgh University has suspended all year abroad programmes in Russia, asking students currently in Russia to “make arrangements for your immediate return to the UK/home”.

In an email sent to all Edinburgh students in Russia, the University wrote: “In light of the escalating situation between Russia and the Ukraine, the University of Edinburgh has taken the decision to suspend all programmes in Russia for the time being.

“As a result, the University of Edinburgh requires you to make arrangements for your immediate return to the UK/home.

“I understand that some of you may be disappointed not to be able to continue your studies in Russia but I hope you can understand that – as your home institution – we are responsible for your safety and have to make a decision now, which prioritises your health and wellbeing.

“Therefore, we are instructing all students currently in Russia to proceed with immediate effect and make arrangements to leave Russia in as short a space of time as possible.

“Please start making travel plans to return home/to the UK and repatriate your belongings.”

The email sent out to Edi students in Russia

The email then goes on to give students in Russia advice on making travel arrangements to return back to the UK.

Speaking to The Edinburgh Tab today, third year student Eleanor who is currently on a year abroad in Russia said: “I’m crying in the street right now, I’m so scared.

“I’m trying to head home tonight, maybe tomorrow at the latest. Today’s just about packing up and heading.”

UK government guidance for those currently in Russia can be found here.

Recommended related articles by this writer:

Edi year abroad students in Russia feel ‘abandoned’ by uni with rising tension in Ukraine

Edinburgh University bans students from travelling to Ukraine during their year abroad

• University of Edinburgh reinstates Participation Grant following campaign by 93% Club