Edinburgh University ranked 6th lowest in UK for student satisfaction

But came top for nursing

This year’s  ‘Complete University Guide’ rankings have been released and Edinburgh uni has been placed sixth from bottom for student satisfaction, but top for nursing.

In the rankings, the University of Edinburgh is 13th overall in the UK, with an 80 per cent score. This is an improvement from last year, when Edi was placed 15th. The university was beaten by Scottish rivals St. Andrews (4th), but is higher than neighbour Glasgow, who came in at 16th.

The overall ranking is based on entry standards, student satisfaction, graduate prospects, and research. Student satisfaction at Edinburgh scored a mere 77 per cent, with the university placing 122nd in the table and therefore 6th worst in the country. However, this is  an improvement from last year when Edinburgh university was 3rd worst for student satisfaction.

Despite a very low overall student satisfaction score, nursing did exceptionally well coming in at the top, a rise of one place since last year. The student satisfaction for nursing is 11 per cent higher than second place Glasgow’s, suggesting that students on the course are very happy with the quality of teaching they receive.

The university also placed 8th overall for law, 4th for medicine and 19th for psychology.

The past year has seen an influx of student complaints due to poor handling of online learning, harassment and racial attacks, which could all explain the poor student satisfaction rates.

A University of Edinburgh spokesperson said:

“We are fully committed to providing the best experience possible for all our students throughout their time at Edinburgh. Students are at the heart of our University and we want to support, inspire and enable them to flourish.

“Despite the pressures caused by Covid-19, the University is committed to investing in major improvements across our campus, which will improve the learning experience. Expanded and improved teaching and study spaces are being rolled out, and we are strengthening our provision of online teaching. Our major new Health & Wellbeing Centre opened this year and is now providing improved counselling, health and wellbeing services for all.

“Our students are taught by world-leading academics, have access to outstanding libraries and learning resources, and go on to enjoy successful graduate careers. Edinburgh frequently ranks amongst the leading universities for graduate employability.”

Related articles recommended by this writer:

Nicola Sturgeon promises students will be vaccinated by Welcome Week

• Edinburgh University lectures expected to still be online next year

EUSA calls for a 30 per cent tuition fee cut due to Covid-19 pandemic disruption to teaching