Image may contain: Crowd, Audience, Finger, Person, Human

EUSA announce plans for new role of Trans and Non-Binary Liberation Officer

Applications for the role open on January 14th

A vote to approve a new EUSA Trans and Non-Binary Liberation Campaign, opening up a new role of Trans and Non-Binary Officer, was approved at a student council meeting on the 29th November.

The new officer, to be elected in the new year, will join a team of 11 Liberation Officers already working with the Edinburgh University Students' Association. These representatives campaign on behalf of students or denominations who are under-represented in higher education or can experience oppression, and have a three-person committee elected to support them.

Nominations for all positions will open on January 14th and close on February 21st, and so the first ever Trans and Non-Binary Officer will be elected on the 8th March. All information regarding applications will be available on the EUSA website in the next fortnight.

Kai O'Doherty, EUSA Vice President Welfare, posted on Facebook: "So proud to announce we will now have a Trans & Non-Binary Liberation Campaign!! At last Student Council, the creation of a new Liberation Campaign and Officer for trans & non-binary students was overwhelmingly approved – a true Christmas miracle. The first officer will be elected in March, and nomination for all positions will open soooon!"

?? So proud to announce we will now have a Trans & Non-Binary Liberation Campaign!! ??At last Student Council, the…

Posted by Kai Vpw O'Doherty on Wednesday, December 5, 2018

In a further statement to The Edinburgh Tab, Kai commented: "The Trans and Non-Binary Liberation Campaign will begin in the 2019/20 academic year, with the first Liberation Officer elected in our March elections.

"Anyone who self-identifies into this group can run for the position, and join the campaign! This is a historic change, recognising the need to tackle growing transphobia in society, and provide place for trans and non-binary students to find community with each other."