Edinburgh is the third most expensive place in the UK to buy a pint

And it’s only out-priced by London and Oxford

In what is probably this year's least surprising piece of news, a survey by MoneyGuru has rated Edinburgh as selling the third most expensive pints of beer in the country, at an average cost of £4.35.

Before you complain about the soaring costs of living in the Auld Reekie, though, take a moment to be glad you don't live in London – where the average pint costs an eye-watering £5.19. In Oxford, the second-most-expensive place, you'll typically need to shell out £4.57 for a single beer.

Image may contain: Glass, Beer Glass, Drink, Beverage, Beer, Alcohol, Person, People, Human

"Why did I pay over £4 for this? Beats me!"

The cheapest pints in the UK are apparently to be found south of the border in Carlisle, where you can enjoy a yeasty brew for only £2.35 – less than half the price the same beer would cost in London.

According to MoneyGuru, UK beer prices are on a rapid increase – with the country's average cost for a pint of bitter having recently breached £3 for the first time in history, and the average cost of a pint of lager sitting at £3.58.

Image may contain: Person, People, Human, Vase, Pottery, Potted Plant, Plant, Jar, Flora

Beer just tastes better in Carlisle

Feeling the patriotism rapidly seeping away? Consider moving to the Czech Republic, where a beer typically costs only £1.17 – one of the cheapest in the world. I hear Ryanair flights to Prague aren't too pricy either.

The Tab Edinburgh

last seen today at 05:42

Get breaking Edinburgh news straight to your WhatsApp.

Find out who has made it into Clubbers of the Week, Teviot nachos news and all the goss from Pollock, straight to your DMs. 😘