Despite living in Edinburgh, nothing will beat living in the Highlands

It’s not got a Pizza Paradise or Hive but it’s still fab

Coming to Edinburgh having always lived in the Highlands is tricky. Some take to the city like ducks to water whilst others find the contrast harder to adjust to.

When I’m asked where I’m from, the first thing I ask is “do you know where Inverness is?” Well, I live an hour north of that. Nearly five whole hours north of our humble Edi. This is often met with, “wow that’s really far north” or just a look of bewilderment. Yes, there are a hell of a lot of sheep and not that many people, but it’s actually pretty amazing even if the nearest cinema is an hour away.

Nightlife

As there’s only one club, nightlife is interesting. But for the under 18’s and those not interested in a club that probably only holds 50 people, there’s a far superior option. The Marquee Dance. From 16 year olds horrifically drunk off shit mixers to 50/60 year olds, marquees are for everyone. When you’re really trying to graft and get with someone and your mum rocks up, it kind of ruins the moment (maybe slightly based on personal experience).

They are the social highlights of the summer, with one on in every town, most weeks.  It is literally just a marquee in a field but you can always count on a stellar night out. Heels are always a must, although attempting to cross the field can be tricky when you make a wrong footing and end up ankle deep in mud.

Once you’re in, it a beeline to the stage, then the dancing begins. This ranges from club style to ceilidh, and a bit in-between. Sadly there is no pole like Garibaldi’s but a wild ‘Strip the Willow’ can be just as exhilarating. Attempts have been made to get up on stage and karaoke. Usually the band take this well, they’re happier to have people on stage than in Hive.

It’s not as if you’re really missing out on much

People always ask, “what did you do?”. You couldn’t just go to the zoo, museums or bowling, but do people actually regularly do these things at home or at uni?

Food

On the topic of food, what I miss more than anything is Harry Gow’s. For all you Harry Gow virgins who haven’t experienced love- buy a Dream Ring. A pastry doughnut filled with cream sounds average but no. This is a staple snack.

It might also be the only place worse than Edinburgh for 24 hour shops, they just do not exist. You have to do a 45-minute round trip to get a takeaway, which is not ideal for a ‘quick’ dinner. The love felt for Chicken Club when stumbling home is incomparable- who knew cheap chicken could taste so good?

Scenery

The scenery is truly outstanding, beach walks and jumping into the river are sure-fire hangover cures, although, going out and unwrapping hay bales is not. You become accustomed to mountains, the sea, vast open spaces and the sheer beauty. Being able to just walk with no one around you for miles is incomparable.

You literally know everyone

In the Highlands, everyone knows everyone so naturally gossip is king but hey of course everyone needs to know whose house you were seen leaving, or how drunk you were. There is no escaping an embarrassing moment when you’re out because you will know 99 per cent of the other people there.

But it is so comforting to always have someone there for you, someone to call, someone doing lifts and you always know you’ll be ok. At the marquees there will always be someone there to look after you even if it is your teacher from school – cue embarrassment to a whole new level.

But really, I love it more than anywhere else

There is nothing that can ever outshine the people in the Highlands. If something happens you can be certain that the whole community will be there for you, no matter what. And where else can you drunkenly walk home under the dancing Northern Lights? It’s pretty special. In fact, It’s the best place in the world. I love Edinburgh and I love all the opportunities a city provides, but it is so impersonal and this is something you can never get used to. I’m sorry, Edinburgh, but you’ll never quite be the Highlands.