Into the Jungle

The Tab went along to the Into the Jungle Ball 2014.

On the 13th of February, The Jam House hosted a second Into the Jungle Ball aimed to raise money for street orphans of Nepal.

The Crawford sisters successfully helped raise £20,000 for their charity, Project Pokhara, by throwing one of Edinburgh University’s most coveted ball events in the social calendar. An intimate gathering, the evening had a warm and friendly atmosphere, with a champagne prize raffle and Tatler Bystander photographers, the evening was not one to be missed.

Ni and Anna Crawford.

Once the formal dinner was over, the guests undid their ties and enjoyed the face paint and jungle themed photo booth. Running around in feathers and animal face paint, the ball seemed like a lost boys’ paradise. The night’s entertainment was lead by Sienna, an up-and-coming Scottish band, and guests kicking off the fun with space hopper races on the dance floor.

Sienna.

The fun loving students created an atmosphere of something that you’d only ever find in a perfume advert. This was a night of not what you’re wearing but who you’re wearing and saw stylish students sporting beautiful dresses from BCBG Maxazria to Marcus Lupfter and men in eccentric Winston Churchill shirts. Conventional ball attire was transformed by zebra masks, leopard print cummerbunds as well as flamboyant, feathered head pieces.

Just fabulous – Tom Fortescue and George Martin.

The Tab caught up with Ni Crawford to get the lowdown on the event:

How and why did you decide to put on Into the Jungle? And how did you decide on Project Pokhara?

Anna spent her summer three years ago on a trip to Nepal in order to assist a local GP in his practice and providing medical checks to children in orphanages. Through this doctor, she met the organisers who are responsible for the Street Children Protection and Rehabilitation Centre (Project Pokhara) who are reliant upon the generosity of Nepali volunteers. We were impressed that their chief aim was to reintegrate the children with their families (a growing problem amongst NGOs in Nepal is charity for profit). They take on the responsibility of making sure these children and young adults can be schooled or find jobs. An increasing problem in Nepal is the inflation of currency and the rapidly rising rental rates in Pokhara, as it is a booming tourist and trekker destination. The non accountability of individual landlords means their centre has little financial security. With all these things in mind, Anna came back to the UK and was determined to find a sustainable solution that involved contribution from the UK, but did not interfere too significantly with the altogether successful way in which things were being run.

Our long term goal therefore, was to raise enough money to buy property for them, to release important funds for them to spend on crucial day to day things such as food and education instead of ever-increasing rent.

We’ve done lots of little bits of fundraising, such as holding a pub quiz, selling cards and selling jewellery, but last year realised that organising a big ball in Edinburgh would be a fun way to raise the remaining money needed. To put things in perspective, the £14 made from every ticket sold is currently 2323 rupees and can feed child for a year. We are privileged to be in a position where the exchange rate maximises the amount we can give.

We would like to take this opportunity to thank those who kindly donated their time, skills and money to help us make this such a worthwhile event and for enabling us to hit our target of £20,000 and hopefully make a difference!

Did you have a favourite outfit of the night?

Marina Martyn-Hemphill wore a beautiful dress and painted an amazing butterfly on her face and had pretty flowers in her hair. What a great effort!

Marina Martyn-Hemphill, one of our favourites too!

Did you feel it was a success?

The Into the Jungle Ball itself was a fantastic night, with Henna artists and face painters, a photo booth, outstanding music from Will Edwards and Sienna, two great DJs, Angus Farquharson and Lexi Le Saint-Grant, space hoppers on the dancefloor and guests from a variety of years at Edinburgh University. It was resounding success because we have now managed to reach the first fundraising target and we have had great reports from all the guests!

Can we expect a sequel?

Yes! Watch this space!

Photographs: Oliver Buchanan Photographywww.oliverbuchanan.co.uk