Edinburgh Clinches Top 30 in Quality of Life Rankings

Edinburgh just about catch 30th in the Lloyds ‘Quality of Life Survey’.

The quality of life at Edinburgh University has been ranked a mediocre 30th in the UK, according to Lloyds Bank’s first ‘Quality of Student Life Survey’.

The survey of 91 UK institutions ranked living standards according to earnings and employment potential, course quality, accommodation cost, sports facilities, social life, and crime.

The can-do Scottish attitude will surely prevail.

Although Edinburgh came above 61 other institutions, the ranking is still reasonably unimpressive considering its recent QS ranking as 17th best in the world, and 5th best in the UK.

Unlike the ‘Quality of Life Survey’, the QS Rankings focused more on academics and employer reputation in each department. Effectively these results are suggesting Edinburgh is a great place to study, but only a reasonable place to live.

Interestingly however, the only bad scores Edinburgh received in the QS survey were for student satisfaction.

These happy, hive-goers seemingly disagree with the survey's results.

These happy Hive-goers seemingly believe Edinburgh’s nightlife is in fact brilliant.

Durham University topped the survey, scoring highly in every category except living costs (apparently luxury doesn’t come cheap). The city also has the lowest crime rate and the second best social life.

To be fair, it is quite nice.

The survey also reveals that LSE graduates make the most money, while Bath has the most satisfied students. Loughborough has the best sports facilities (duh) and Manchester has a whopping 245 pubs.

Edinburgh failed to top any chart.

On the bright side, Edinburgh did rank highest in Scotland. No Scottish University topped any category, apart from Glasgow Caledonia, which had the highest graduate employment rate. Herriot Watt and St. Andrew’s were nowhere to be seen.