Apply to join the 2022/23 Durham Tab editorial team

Come join the UK’s biggest student news publication

For the first time in two years, positions on The Durham Tab’s editorial team have opened up. With exciting new roles and new ways to get involved, The Durham Tab is taking on more staff than ever before.

The current positions available are Sports Editor, Features Editor, News Editor, and Social Media Editor.

All applicants will be considered, regardless of experience, degree, year group, or background.

If you are looking for a role with a little bit less responsibility but are still keen to get involved in The Durham Tab, come down to one of our writer recruitment events in Easter Term.

News Editor

The News Editor will work closely with our Editor-in-Chief in order to be the first outlet on campus to break local news. You will be constantly on the lookout for new stories and understand the importance of reacting quickly to breaking news. You will be involved in writing, editing, and publishing the biggest stories on campus and will have the opportunity to challenge key issues and inequalities in Durham.

Elements of the role include investigative journalism and interviewing members of the student body to inform articles on lived experiences in Durham. In addition to this, the ideal candidate will be enthused by teamwork and will maintain a good relationship with writers and co-editors to ensure we are the publication that breaks news first.

Features Editor

Love finding out which Made in Chelsea character your college is? Think you know how to make a Durham student laugh? Then this is the role for you. The Features Editor will take charge of devising fun articles to bring a smile to Durham students. As Features Editor you benefit from the use of different formats, from polls to quizzes and everything in between.

The ideal candidate will have a great sense of humour and will understand the inner workings of a Durham student’s mind. In addition to this, the Features Editor needs to cover a breadth of topics across university life to ensure inclusivity and relevance. You will also maintain a friendly relationship with the team, editing and pitching articles as well as planning social events to boost team integration.

Sports Editor

Introducing The Durham Tab’s new sports section. To kick off our sports section we are looking for a driven individual who lives to watch, play and discuss sports with their peers. Whether you played netball for the county in high school or you are on your college’s football J team, we want to hear from you.

The ideal candidate will have a love for sports at all levels from Durham students’ GB call-ups to the college floodlit cup. You will assign and edit the articles of writers, contribute your own work and work with the Social Media Editor to promote your section. You will maintain a good relationship with writers, your co-editors, and The Tab HQ team to ensure the relevance, quality, and maximum engagement of the sports section.

Social Media Editor

Our Social Media Editor will have access to and control over all of our social handles which bost over 25,000 followers. You will liaise with co-editors to promote new articles from each section and will provide live updates to news on campus. Currently, we have a weekly Instagram poll on Thursdays where readers write in with household debates and Durham students settle them once and for all – we would like to see more interactive ideas like this across our social media outlets.

This year we are also looking to expand our social media into the world of TikTok and would be looking to you to help pioneer this move, creating original video content and hopping on trends in a way relevant to Durham.

If this all sounds good to you and you have a keen interest in the workings of social media then apply below.

How to apply

To apply, fill out the application form below (or click the link here) by 12 midday on the Friday 29th April.

Any questions, DM The Durham Tab on Instagram. Good luck!