Durham Summer 2021 Congregation ceremonies postponed

The April 2021 ceremonies rescheduled for 2020’s finalists have also been put off to a later date

Durham University have today announced that Summer 2021 Congregation ceremonies have been postponed due to ongoing coronavirus restrictions. Final year students can expect to have their degree legally conferred in July “in absentia”, according to the information given by the Durham University Cermonies Unit earlier this morning.

The University has also confirmed that the rescheduled ceremony for the class of 2020, due to take place this April, will also be being postponed to a later date once more. New dates for ceremonies have not yet been projected, although the University has promised to be in touch at a later date. Current final year students should expect to hear more in April.

Guidance issued by the University reads: “Due to the ongoing significant measures designed to manage the spread of Coronavirus and the latest advice available from Public Health England, the University has taken the decision to postpone the April and Summer 2021 Congregation ceremonies.

“We acknowledge that this is very disappointing news for you, as it is for us. However, with the uncertain national situation the health and safety of graduands/graduates and guests should take priority. These ceremonies will be rescheduled.”

The update adds: “Final year students will still have their award legally conferred in July ‘in absentia’ and degree documents will be dispatched within 8 weeks of this. We will be in touch with these students directly in early April with details for them to register for their degree documents and confirm their interest in the rescheduled ceremonies.”

Though the ceremonies are expected to be rescheduled and not postponed, the University notes: “In the event of postponement or cancellation of Congregation ceremonies, the University will endeavour to communicate this on the website and by contacting the attending students.”

More information on the rescheduling of Durham University’s congregation ceremonies can be found here.