Man dies after stabbing on Mitchell Street early this morning

A murder investigation has been opened

A man has died after a stabbing occurred on Mitchell Street in Durham this morning, with a murder investigation being opened as a result.

The 41-year-old victim was found with stab wounds after officers were called to the popular student street at around 8.30am this morning.

Paramedics were spotted and attempted to resuscitate the man, but he was later pronounced dead at the scene.

A police cordon has been constructed around the street and people have been told to avoid the area while police officers carry out enquiries.

A Durham student who lives on Mitchell Street told The Durham Tab: “We woke up this morning to find tape cordoning off the whole of Mitchell Street on both ends. I opened my window to look out at what was happening, and saw a number of paramedics stood at the bottom, all holding sheets around what looked like somebody on the ground.

“Police were also on the street, advising us that we couldn’t leave our houses. At around 11.30am, I looked and saw a tent. Nobody is allowed onto the street – one of my housemates who went out this morning isn’t allowed back in, so is currently with a friend. It’s really terrifying to think that something like this could happen so close to home, and also that I was so close by, completely unaware of what was going on.”

Detective Chief Superintendent Adrian Green, who is leading the investigation, said: “This investigation is in the very early stages and we are working to establish exactly what has happened.

“I would like to thank the local community for their patience, understanding and cooperation while we deal with the incident in what are already difficult times.

“We will remain in the area for a significant amount of time and there will be inevitable disruption, but we are working as hard as we can to enable the public to get back to normal as quickly as possible.

“I would like to speak to anyone who was in the area between 7am and 8.30am today and saw anything that could help our investigation.”

“Anyone who has any information is asked to call police on 101, quoting incident number 56 of March 19.”