Durham students are going to hold a ‘vigil’ for Pret A Manger

‘Biggest event of the year’ claims one BNOC

Hide Images

An event has been set up on Facebook to remember the closure of popular high street cafe Pret a Manger in Durham city centre last month.

Over 150 people claim they will attend the event, where "Candles, flowers, and avocados will be laid down in memory", according to a description on the post.

At the time of the café's closure, Durham’s MP Roberta Blackman-Woods said in a tweet: “This is another blow to local residents & will further limit the retail offer in Durham".

Apart from the residents, the loss has also been felt by Durham’s student population, especially by girls from the home counties.

Maddie, a fresher studying Liberal Arts from Surrey, told the Tab: “I don’t know where else I will get my crayfish and avocado salad from anymore. I’m devastated and will definitely be going to the vigil”.

It’s fair to say that Pret has left some pretty big shoes to fill for whatever shop decides to move to it's former silver street location in DH1.

With over 500 people interested in/going to the vigil, 1 June 2018 is set to be a big day.

Keep the day clear to light a few candles in remembrance of Pret. In the infamous words of Dr Seuss: "don’t cry because it’s over; smile because it happened".