Your guide to Durham’s dialect

Because we’re too intelligent for actual English

Durham people talk a lot of shit. Here’s a very quick guide to understand what they’re going on about.

Bantah: A hilarious and often belittling joke at another’s expense. The producer of such comedy will probably also be a massive lad, who will confirm his other friend’s ability do also create top bants by shouting this word with feeling and sincerity.

(At least they have) Great Craic: Lay claim to how you’re actually an eighth Irish and pull out some outstanding chat. A patronising adjective used to describe an unfortunate pull of your housemate’s, but endearing all the same.

Classic not Classic

Classic not Classic

Classic not classic: For all those moments that are just so original but have actually happened to every other person alive. This phrase will be particularly prominent after some good craic following a night out.

Dreamy: Congratulations. You’ve just avoided a major drama, a phenomenally traumatic first world problem.

Buddy: Someone you love like you love your dog. Or like an American.

Mate: Because Durham is like a family, and we’re all best fwends. Plus, after a particularly disgusting night in Klute, you’ll probably make one of these people your “mate” for a few regrettable hours anyway.

Squad Goals: You think you’re on point. You think you look sick. This insanely edgy photo was probably taken on the Salt Flats in Utah by some members of Hatfield.

10841778_10152445513621923_7164414445513263451_o

Squad Quads

Rogue: Inexplicably adventurous behaviour, such as waking up to a traffic cone outside your front door on Hawthorn. Or be a little daring and pop it in the living room as a conversation starter at prinks for some tremendous craic. 

Binned: You were just so tragically drunk you little rebel. The bravest of you were so intoxicated you got with a local, yet the only sausage most of you were eating was from Subway.

1555582_10153752717760195_1869999251_n

Binned

Edgy: There’s a scrunchie, a pair of New Balances and a Castle Smenergy Sweater. Do their large numbers negate any claims to edginess? The Tab leaves you to decide.