Body identified as Luke Pearce

The body found in the river yesterday has been formally identified as St. Cuth’s student, Luke Pearce.

A formal identification has been carried out on the body of a young man found in the river by Bath’s Bridge yesterday. Durham Constabulary have confirmed the body is that of Luke Pearce, 19.

Body has been identified as Luke Pearce

Pearce, an engineering student from St. Cuthbert’s, went missing on Sunday 11th of May. He was last seen walking between Bath’s Bridge and the bandstand.

The body was recovered yesterday between Bath’s Bridge and Hild Bede by Durham Amateur Rowing club, following searches .

There are no suspicious circumstances and an inquest into Luke’s death is due to open in the next few days. A post mortem was conducted yesterday, the results of which are being forwarded to the coroner today.

Freshers from St. Cuths have described the event as “tragic and shocking.”  Luke was a “gentle giant” with a “kind-hearted soul.”

He was a “fun loving and caring student” who will no doubt be missed tremendously.

The university have said they will be available for comment this afternoon, The Tab will bring you updates as they develop.