Review: Oranges, Cut Into Six

A dark tale of love and obsession as a young woman finds herself captured in a terrifying web of adoration

Oranges Cut Into Six is a poignant and powerful play that explores the complexities of queer love, obsession and liberation. Set in Malaysia, the play follows Jia Wei (played by Zi Suen Kok), a character grappling with homesickness and vulnerability, who is taken in by the charming Kim (Erin Tan) after a chance encounter at a convenience store.

Image credits: Charlotte Conybeare

The evolution of the relationship between Jia Wei and Kim is both captivating and unsettling, as Kim’s intense infatuation leads to a dark and oppressive dynamic.

The exploration of power, control, and the fine line between love and possession is masterfully woven into the narrative, keeping the audience on the edge of their seats.

The character development of the play is superb, with Jia Wei’s quiet strength and resilience shining through as she tries to find a way out of her increasingly dangerous situation. Erin Tan certainly did Kim’s complex and chilling character justice. Her love for Jia Wei quickly turns toxic and controlling. Jia Wei ultimately realises that she was neglectful of her true loved ones, particularly her friend, played by Ness Lam.

Image credits: Charlotte Conybeare

The tension builds consistently throughout the play, leading to a climactic resolution that is as cathartic as it is heartbreaking.

The play delves into themes of identity, agency, and the struggle for autonomy, particularly within the context of queer relationships. Jia Wei’s journey towards self-discovery and empowerment is heart-wrenching yet ultimately empowering, as she navigates the depths of her own desires and fears.

Only four actresses performed throughout the play, two of which played dual characters, and yet each actress displayed unique and gripping performances. I particularly enjoyed the range of Jacinta Ngeh‘s highly emotional performance as Gen, and the much more mellow but equally well played role as Grandfather.

The Writer (Yen Min Ting), directors (Tungsten Tang and Amelia Ya Wen Mitchell) and the rest of the team did an incredible job bringing this story to life.

Image credits: Charlotte Conybeare

Oranges, Cut Into Six is a thought-provoking, intense and emotionally resonant piece that challenges societal norms and delves into the complexities of love and liberation. It is an intense story that will stay with you long after you finish watching it. An absolute must-see for those interested in engaging with powerful stories of queer relationships and the quest for personal freedom. I would highly recommend it.

The show is running Tuesday 6th – Saturday 10th February at 7pm in Corpus Playroom. Book your tickets here.

Feature Image Credits: Charlotte Conybeare