Cambridge Union Lent 2022 termcard released

There’s a whole host of speakers, debates and events

Late on Tuesday evening (18/01), the Cambridge Union published their termcard for Lent Term 2022. The 92-page document consists of details of social events, the production the Union is hosting, and information on debates and speakers.

The production

Although a huge amount of detail isn’t given, the Union has announced a production of Shakespeare’s The Merchant of Venice to be held in the Union’s chamber in Week 5. The production is to be set in modern Britain, told through a modern lens to focus on the rise of antisemitism, hate crimes and conspiracy theories.

The play will run from 18th – 22nd February, with ticket details TBA. It follows after the Union attempted to stage the tragicomedy in Michaelmas 2020 but was cancelled due to Covid restrictions.

Debates

As well as two open debates on the 8th February and 1st March, the termcard consists of nine planned debates for Lent; the first of which begins this Thursday (20/01).

Covering a wide range of topics, from “This House no longer has confidence in Her Majesty’s Police Force”, to “This House would go to Church”, and even “This House regrets the fall of the British Empire”, speakers include MPs, journalists, professors, CEOs and farmers.

Speakers

Arguably one of the most exciting points of the Union, 32 speakers are lined up for Lent, and they do not fail to impress.

Starting this week, Richard Ratcliffe, husband of Nazanin Zaghair-Ratcliffe speaks to students on his effort on the ongoing release campaign for his wife. His online petition now has over 3.5 million supports in 155 countries.

Further to this, though, speakers range from single speaker business leaders like Claude Littner, who is also famed for appearing on fifteen seasons of The Apprentice, to stand-up comedian Liam Williams, artist Ai WeiWei, and adventurer Bear Grylls, to group panels such as the Black-owned Business Panel and Women in Literature Panel.

Some more examples of speakers this term include football manager Tony Adams, singer-songwriter Celeste, former Home Secretary David Blunkett and adult film star Stormy Daniels.

Finally, BAFTA and Golden Globe-winning actress and producer Ruth Wilson is premiering her film “True Things” in the Union chamber on the 25th of February.

Social Events

“Newly consolidated tradition” Jazz After Dark will continue to run at the Union, as well as “soon-to-become classics” such as a Valentine’s Day Cocktail party (with raffle prize courtesy of RAG), Lemony Snicket’s Afternoon Tea and a Roaring 20’s Dinner Soiree.

Old classics are still being carried on, however, such as Yoga at the Union, Wine and Cheese socials and the much-loved Dog Therapy.

Further to this, the Union is also hosting a Pink Week Ball on the 5th of February to aid Pink Week, who are currently supporting Future Dreams, Coppafeel, Breast Cancer UK and Teenage Cancer Trust.

“This Lent, we go back to our roots.” President James Vitali said. “Some of our guests this term will hopefully be heroes and role models that you have wanted to hear from for ages”.

He continues, “other guests will be people you heartily disagree with. The beauty of this institution is that you … get the chance to listen to their opinions, and then tell them exactly why you disagree with them.”

Featured image credits: Cmglee, Wikimedia Commons via Creative Commons License