Cows about Cambridge raise over £250,000 for charity

The most popular statute, MooMoo-o-Tron III, sold for £16,000

Last night (23/09), 45 cow statues from the Cows about Cambridge collection were auctioned for Break, a local children’s charity that gives “vulnerable children, young people and families the time, support, and care they need to achieve their full potential.” A total of £257,100 was raised.

The auction was held both online and at the Graduate Hotel in Cambridge, and was hosted by celebrity auctioneer Charles Hanson, known for shows like Antiques Roadshow, Bargain Hunt and Flog It. Each cow started at £1,000, with the public favourite MooMoo-o-Tron III reaching the highest sum of £16,000.

Close up of a mechanical cow depicting two small aliens in the goggles

MooMoo-O-Tron III’s glow in the dark goggles! Image Credit: Hannah Huang

The cows were part of a ten-week trail displayed around Cambridge, which included 44 large cows and 46 “mini moo’s” for the public to find. Each cow was designed and then painted by an artist, each with their own name and description. The trail also had its own app, which could be used to ‘collect’ the cows spotted by the user.

A cow made of coins

Penny, who was made from lots of different coins! Image Credit: Hannah Huang

Earlier this year, The Tab explored the trail for themselves. The Tab’s highest ranking five cows sold for the following amounts:

5. Penny – £9,500

4. Hey Diddle Diddle – £7,000

3. Moss Cow – £4,500

2. May Belle – £5,500

1. MooMoo-O-Tron III – £16,000

The Tab will be sad to see MooMoo-O-Tron III go, but wish them well in their new home.

Featured Image Credit: Hannah Huang