Cambridge exams can now be changed or SHORTENED due to strikes

Some papers, even finals, could last less than the usual three hours

| UPDATED Hide Images

Tripos exams this summer – including finals – may now look radically different or even be cut down because of the disruption caused by the lecturers’ strikes, bigwigs at Cambridge University have agreed.

Senate House has given individual faculties the right to remove questions on topics that students have not been taught after over 100 contact hours were lost on 14 days across the second half of Lent Term.

Each subject department must now choose whether to scrap questions related to missed lectures, classes or supervisions – and then whether to replace them with other material or simply shorten the exam.

According to a report in Friday’s Daily Telegraph, Cambridge has issued faculty heads with guidance on which changes they can make, but it is up to the academics themselves to decide if or how they intervene.

This means students on certain courses could see their exams last less than the standard three hours as questions are cut, while others face the misfortune of having to answer more on work from Michaelmas.

The University and College Union (UCU) has served official notice of further strike action at 13 universities, including Cambridge, intended to cause maximum disruption as students sit their finals in June.

A Cambridge official told the Telegraph: “The University has long-standing procedures to mitigate the impact of disruption on individual students. The University commits to maintaining fairness to candidates at all times while upholding the integrity of the examination process.”

The spokesperson emphasised that the measures would not include reducing the pass mark or altering any class boundaries.