Navy lucky to sink Football Blues

The Blues took on the Navy at Fenners and despite a promising performance were unable to make a breakthrough in a physical encounter

Blues football cambridge university football

The season ahead is shaping up to be a difficult one after the departure of two-thirds of last season’s Blues squad but the performance today may allay some concerns despite the fact that the 1-0 defeat ultimately ended up being a disappointing result.

In the first half the Blues took the game to the Navy with some incisive attacking play, with Max Burley looking the most dangerous player on the pitch in the opening exchanges; his quick turn and volley tested the opposition keeper and he was unlucky not to convert a cross from the left by AJ Rawson, after the winger’s mazy run left the full-back dumbfounded.

Zac Baynham-Herd was also unlucky not to get himself on the score-sheet after he flicked a corner onto the top of the bar.

As the second half progressed the Navy came more and more into the game, with Blues keeper Henry Warne pulling off some magnificent saves to keep the score level; first he saved a powerful long-range drive before tipping a dangerous free-kick around the post. The Blues went into the half-time break level at 0-0.

The second half started where the first left off, with both teams enjoying a healthy share of possession.

It became more difficult for the Cambridge forwards to create chances though as the Navy tightened up their defence and increasingly began to play on the counter-attack.

Alex ‘Gaz’ Gaskell used his physical presence up front to harry the defence and looked the most likely to score with a couple of long-range attempts.

Yet it was the Navy who took the lead after their left-winger cut inside and curled a shot into the far corner.

The Blues responded well though and continued to press for an equalizer, which almost came after another brilliant cross in from AJ was inches from finding Martin Sedlak who had broken into the box.

The final 15 minutes of the half was quiet, with the Navy sitting deep and snuffing out any threat from the Blues.