Cuppers: Trinity Trounce Emma

FOOTBALL: FRANCESCA TYE watches league strugglers Trinity progress in Cuppers.

college football Danny Gammal emma football football cuppers Lars Boyde Matt Cole trinity football

With both sides struggling at the bottom of the first division, the cup presented a chance for both teams to experience some success elsewhere; indeed the Trinity coach insisted that they intend to focus on the cup competition after their recent league difficulties.

This intention was made clear with a great start from the away side seeing them go 2-0 up within the first 10 minutes of the game. Probing play from Dany Gammal led to a well taken corner that was met decisively by the head of Brieuc, guiding the ball into the top left corner to put his team into the lead. Their lead was soon doubled after a nice touch in the box by Gammal who then turned neatly and finished into the far corner of the net.

Trinity’s confident start roused Emma who then began to play, with some nice one touch passing carving open the Trinity defence on more than one occasion, forcing the Trinity keeper, Lars Boyde into action with a superb save that highlighted his Blues credentials. However, Emma’s persistence was soon to be rewarded with another nice passing move in the middle of the park finished comfortably by the Emma forward Stuart Gardner, who found himself unmarked in the middle of the box, put his side back in the game.

After finishing the first half in confident fashion, it was then Emma’s turn to pile on the pressure as they enjoyed the majority of possession in the opening stages of the second half. However it was Trinity’s Gammal who always looked the most likely to score and his threat was confirmed when he used his pace to break away from the Emma defence, rounded the keeper and was unfortunate to hit the crossbar.

Yet, the majority of the play continued to be carried out in Trinity’s half and Emma were unfortunate to have a goal ruled out for offside. But their consistent pressure soon proved costly for Trinity as one of their defenders got too close for the referee’s comfort, unnecessarily tripping the Emma forward in the box, giving little option but to award a penalty. Once again, this brought out the best in  Boyde who saved excellently to his right hand corner, only for the Emma striker James Douglas to react quickest and slot the rebound home.

Within a matter of minutes of getting themselves back into the game, Emma gifted the advantage back to Trinity after some sloppy defending from the Emma back line allowed Chris Scott to grab a comfortable goal.

Although Emma continued to probe and put on a spirited display, Trinity remained the more dangerous team with the threat up-front from Gammal, their central midfielders initiating good football by attempting to get the ball wide and work the ball in behind the Emma defence. An Emma free kick in a promising position made up the final action of the game, with even the Emma keeper making a cameo in the box; however, Trinity’s defence held firm and enabled them to hold onto a valuable win that sets them on their way in the cup.