Can CCTV Catch Cambridge Sex Offender?

Cambridgeshire Police have released CCTV footage of a man they want to talk to in connection with the serial sex offender.

cambridge students cambridgeshire constabulary crime operation majesty phil pristley sex offender

Police may be closer to catching the notorious Cambridge sex attacker after CCTV images of a man spotted near the scene of the latest attack were released.

Police are hoping it will lead to a breakthrough in the case, and urge people to come forward if they have any information about the man in the footage.

Detective Sergeant Phil Priestley thinks that the images could prove key to the success of Operation Majesty, the investigation aiming to catch the attacker.

He explained: ”We are keen to trace the man pictured in these CCTV images as we believe he may have vital information which could assist our investigation. I would urge anyone who recognises him, or the man himself, to call police.”

The CCTV pictures were taken on the day of the most recent attack, on 28th May, involving a student in her 20s who was taken by surprise on her way home. The persistent pervert has so far assaulted nine women, smothering the screams of his terrified victims with a gloved hand before groping them from behind.

httpvh://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84072CawNFg

The released footage hopes to shed new light on the case

News of the stalker has left students afraid to go out on their own at night until the man is caught.

‘Binsonite fresher Emma told The Tab: “When I first came to Cambridge I felt much safer walking alone in the street than I did at home; now I’m a lot more concerned. It’s reassuring that the police are doing all they can though.”

Some believe that even if the investigation is successful, this should be an important wake-up call to the dangers of being out late.

“It’s stupid to imagine we’re living in this ideal city,” says Hannah, a student at Selwyn. “You can’t go into the world thinking you can walk anywhere at any time. There will always be people out there who’ll take advantage of students, particularly those who are drunk. Just don’t go out on your own late at night. Get a taxi. Grab a male friend.”

These warning are echoed by police, who recommend that women out after nightfall should take “sensible precautions.”

Anyone with any information on the attacker should call the police on 0345 456 4564 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.