School Of Rock

The University is letting a rock band play a Lecture Theatre for the first time, it was announced yesterday.

US rockers They Might Be Giants (TMBG) will perform a special science-themed family gig meets lesson on June 27 in the Babbage Lecture Theatre.

Fans will hear club bangers like ''Photosynthesis'', ''My Brother The Ape'' and "Computer-Assisted Design'' in the event organised by Cambridge Science Festival.

The New York Grammy winners who have been going strong for 20 years are most famous for ''Boss of Me'' – the Malcolm in the Middle theme tune.

Band manager Jamie Lincoln Kitman said they were thrilled to be able to inspire the next generation with their love of music and science.

He said: ''They Might Be Giants share the Cambridge Science Festival's passion for science, and communicating science to kids (and adults).

''The process of putting on a rock gig like this in a fabled lecture theatre is a brave new horizon for us.

''Luckily we've benefited from the legacy of Babbage's 'difference engine' to help get us to this moment in time.

Cambridge Science Festival organiser Shelley Bolderson said that she was thrilled to welcome the band to the event.

She said: ''We're always looking for innovative ways of inspiring kids to get into science. A live performance of Here Comes Science is the perfect way to do it.''

TMBG songwriters, producers, multi-instrumentalists and vocalists John Flansburgh and John Linnell have just released a sell-out children's album Here Comes Science as a two-disc CD/DVD.

The Cambridge Science Festival took place from 8-21 March 2010 to promote science, technology, engineering and mathematics to more than 15,000 visitors.

Tickets cost £10 each, or £32.50 for a family pack of four tickets from http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/sciencefestival/tmbg/.