Image may contain: Long Sleeve, T-Shirt, Sleeve, Jeans, Denim, Blonde, Girl, Kid, Woman, Teen, Child, Female, Pants, Human, Person, Clothing, Apparel

UoB State School Society shortlisted for Diversity and Inclusion Award

The society will receive £1000 of funding if they win

Bristol's 93% Club has been shortlisted for the Diversion and Inclusion Award at the 2018 Bright Network's Society of the Year Awards.

The award night is set to take place on December 5 in central London, where the winning society will be awarded £1000 of funding.

Having already held CV workshops and offering free LinkedIn head shot sessions this year, The 93% Club aims to combat the divide between state and public school students.

They especially hope to improve the experiences of students from academically disadvantaged backgrounds whilst at the University of Bristol.

The 93% Club is also the only society to have submitted enough evidence to secure Bristol SU's Bronze Balloon award via the Balloon Accreditation Scheme.

Image may contain: Animal, Bird

Liberty O’Hagan, President of The 93% Club, said:“I’m so pleased to celebrate the success of the 93% state school club. Being shortlisted for Bright Network’s Diversity and Inclusion Award is such a proud moment for the committee."

"So far this year we have hosted socials, academic and career related workshops and an education panel with leading journalists and Widening Participation representatives. We are really aiming to give students who may not have the same contacts or opportunities a chance, and to create an inclusive atmosphere at Bristol.”

Image may contain: Sitting, Indoors, Room, Crowd, Human, Person

“In 2017, Bristol took in 61.4 per cent of state school students, which is lower than Cambridge and a stark difference to the national average of 93 per cent state educated citizens. It is fantastic recognition how important the society is, and hopefully will spur more societies to be set up across the U.K as we are hoping to expand nationally.”