Image may contain: Scenery, Outdoors, Nature, Landscape, Aerial View, Office Building, Urban, Town, City, Building, Vase, Pottery, Potted Plant, Plant, Jar, Flora

Meet the candidates running to be Postgraduate Education Officer in the SU Elections

Voting closes on Thursday

Sadeta Nedz, Masters Health, Law and Society

Image may contain: Person, People, Human

Why did you want to go for the role?

‘I know that I enjoy the nature of this role, and therefore I know that I would implement my pleasures. I have also really enjoyed my time at Bristol Uni so I would want to give something back. Having been a student, I know the struggles they go through, I know how hard it is to voice your opinions, so I would voice the opinion of the student population – I know Bristol really well’.

What makes you better than other candidates going for the role?

‘I would want better services for education and mental health. I’d want everybody to feel supported. I think in the recent student survey, 59% of students they were unhappy, so I’d take this to lecturers and push for more qualitative feedback.’

Can you sum up the changes you want to make in one sentence?

‘I’m dedicated to the student body being a student myself. I would work tirelessly to make sure we are heard. I would always be present and visual so they could come to me for advice.’

What’s one thing that current SU officer is doing your role that you would change/ work on?

‘Things I’m working on at the moment are better services for mental health, and an increase in printing service for every university.’

What is your favourite takeaway on a Bristol night out?

‘Doner kebabs from M & M and Quigleys — with garlic sauce.’

Lea Hampton-O’Neil, PhD Cell Biology

Image may contain: Poster, Smile, Portrait, Face, Person, People, Human

What makes you the best candidate for the role?

‘I can hit the ground running because I know how things work here. I really care about the things I want to change. I want change postgrad mental health. In the past I’ve really worked hard, when I was on the JCR committee I changed things for mental health and made things better. I want to make to a difference.’

What part of your manifesto are you to most proud of?

‘I feel lots of things need to be changed for postgrads. The thing that really made me want to run was because I kept seeing my friends have terrible relationships with their supervisors. This lead to people having to put complaints to HR. I really want to change that.’

What is the biggest change you want to make to your role?

‘When it comes to postgrad mental health, PhD students can be really isolated because you become a specialist in a tiny field. I would really want to tackle this isolation and make it so that there a PhD cohorts, and make PhD counselling groups.’

‘When I go out I’d say Donervan’s because I’ve had the best conversations sitting there eating the chips. Chris and Hoe’s kitchen on St. Michael’s Hill, it’s cheap and has good food. It’s £5 for a really fancy dinner.’

Conor O’Shea, Part-time Sociology Masters, 2nd year

Image may contain: Face, Dimples, Person, People, Human

Why did you want to go for the role?

‘I think I’m the right person to do it. A lot people think the SU is a bit lame, and I think I can definitely change that. I worked a lot before I came to this uni, I’m a bit unimpressed with university management and the SU’s response to the strikes.’

‘I say it’s my attitude, I’m a worker. Also, I’m a people person – I’m community minded. I love nothing more than going out and meeting people. I love speaking to people gathering their views, I love making things better for them.’

What part of your manifesto are you most proud of?

‘Making a better community for postgraduate students. On a national level, it’s fighting privatisation. We’re a £4m business putting someone in charge of the SU it’s a serious business.’

Sum up why people should vote for you in one sentence?

‘People should elect me for Postgraduate Education Officer because I am the hardest worker and I’m not afraid of anyone.’

‘Pizza, A capella on South Road. It’s absolutely the best place I’ve ever eaten. You can bring your own booze.’

Shubham Singh, Gender and International Relations, Masters

Image may contain: Beard, Person, People, Human

‘I think my realistic ambitions and my past one year of experience that gives me insight into how university structures work. It’s more about finding the right balance between what can be done and what can be altered.’

‘I’m most passionate about the increased support for international students, there were 26 new scholarships set up for international students. There are plans underway to have a full-time international officer for the next SU elections. I want to launch 50 international scholarships next year.’

What’s the most useful experience you’ve had for the role you’re going for?

‘The most useful experience is that I’m an international student. When I go to university meetings, my voice has an impact because I’m someone from a different country. I can show the university what it means to be an international student. Most of the university’s plans are based around international students.’

‘4,500 Miles from Delhi.’